Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Here's the situation. Tucker (7 months) started acting a bit weird on the weekend, just seemed a bit more tired than usual. By Monday afternoon he had a couple reverse sneezes and developed what I can only describe as a stuffy/runny nose. Neither Tuck nor I ended up getting much sleep Monday night so Tuesday morning I called a friend (who I play hockey with and is a veterinary surgeon) and described Tucker's issues, who by this point was not at all himself, nose was getting worse and he was super lethargic, we went back a forth a bit and he asked me to come in so he could take a look at him. Went it, they took blood work and an x-ray, vet found what looked like a small piece of bone in his stomach that he thinks is the cause. Blood work all came back normal. Wednesday he was bouncing back, and Thursday even more so. Vet's advice was to keep an eye on him and let him know if he'd gotten any worse.

So after all that, here's my question. Has anyone experienced anything like this with their pup before? Tucker is definitely on the upswing, although slowly. I don't know how long, on average, it should take him to get back to normal. Only thing that still seems to be bothering him is the stuffy/runny nose, energy is back up and he's drinking, eating and playing as normal. Maybe sleeps a bit more than he normally does, but nothing excessive. I'm reticent to call up vet friend for advice unless necessary because I don't want to take advantage of our friendship. He did the check up, blood work and x-rays at no charge, and will also be neutering him in a month or two, again at no charge. While he's made it clear he is happy to help and answer question I feel bad taking his time for something that is probably me just being paranoid.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
It sounds like his nose was irritated by the bone fragment and is probably still irritated (poor little guy!), but I wouldn't find it out of hand to text or call your friend and just ask "hey, how long is too long for him to still be stuffy?"

I'd also do something very nice for that friend if you haven't already- bake some lasagna and pack it for freezer storage so he can take out a piece at a time when he's busy, bake cookies, buy a starbucks card, something like that.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm glad to hear Tucker is on the mend. :)

Did the vet take his temperature? What was the discharge like?
If he had a temperature , it could be a virus or bacterial infection.

·
Premium Member
10,780 Posts
I'm confused as to how a piece of bone, in the stomach, could cause upper respiratory symptoms?

I'd be guessing it'd be a mild case of kennel cough, but I got my vet license from a cereal box so take it with a large grain of salt. LOL

I'm glad that he's starting to feel better, and hopefully he'll be back to normal in the next few days, if he isn't get him back to the vet.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd also do something very nice for that friend if you haven't already- bake some lasagna and pack it for freezer storage so he can take out a piece at a time when he's busy, bake cookies, buy a starbucks card, something like that.
I got him some beers :)

I'm glad to hear Tucker is on the mend.

Did the vet take his temperature? What was the discharge like?
If he had a temperature , it could be a virus or bacterial infection.
Vet took his temp, said it was normal also ran blood work on him and said it all came back normal. Discharge was clear, much like snot.

I'm confused as to how a piece of bone, in the stomach, could cause upper respiratory symptoms?

I'd be guessing it'd be a mild case of kennel cough, but I got my vet license from a cereal box so take it with a large grain of salt. LOL

I'm glad that he's starting to feel better, and hopefully he'll be back to normal in the next few days, if he isn't get him back to the vet.
I also have no idea why the 2 are related. But I trust the guy and Tucker is getting a bit better every day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts