Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I recently adopted a lovely Lab/Doberman Mix (assuming not known exactly what she is) and have found fleas and tape worms on her. She was brought to the shelter by animal control, she was found with numerous ticks along the side of the road. While at the rescue shelter I noticed they had 75+ dogs, a mix of all breeds and ages. The 2 owners (and only workers) of the shelter also run a cattle farm, this made me a little leery about the health of all the pets they have there.

My main question is, I found out Hadley (my puppy) has fleas and tape worms within 3 days of adopting her. At the adoption center they did tell me she was found with numerous ticks when she was brought in but did not say anything about fleas. Also the contract I signed has a section about contacting the rescue shelter if I see health issues within 10 days to further discuss the matter. So when I contacted them they told me, "sorry to hear about the fleas, we had been using a flea killer and preventer and later found out there were issues with it being unproductive."

I am mostly concerned for the other pets at the shelter. It was a dirty facility and a lot of the dogs were able to free roam (not always a bad thing) but while I was there many of the dogs got in a big fight with each other. This was very hard to watch, the lady apologized for the animals but didn't do much of anything to stop them from fighting.

I could tell taking care of dogs is her passion but I think 75+ dogs are too many, what should I do? Should I notify someone or some organization that I think they need extra help or need to give some dogs to other shelters in the area?

Should I ask for some sort of compensation for the veterinary bills that are piling up? I understand dogs are expensive but there is no reason I should pay for a puppy that is already sick...

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
As far as I see it the moment you took her out of the shelter she became yours and thus your financial responsibility.

You can always demand help to pay for it but then you'd be taking much needed funds from a rescue organisation who would be using that money to help the animals without families.

You can contact the authorities and ask them to look into the amount of animals they have and if they're capable of caring for so many.

Good luck! Hope your pup is better soon :)

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
For the sake of the other animals, you could notify AC and see if they could help, also the board of health.
Most shelters, not all, have to have inspections, see if that is required in your area.
You saved Hadley, thank you!

·
Registered
12,335 Posts
Is this a non-profit shelter (ie 501c3)?
Is it the city shelter or just under contract? (You mentioned AC gave them the pup).
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts