Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
We've had Ruby home for almost two weeks now- she's 9 weeks old She has been great with having zero accidents in the house! Both my husband and I work so we are gone from 8ish to 4:30. At first we kept her in our coat closet with a baby gate, her crate, toys and water. She would typically howl, whine and whimper, but never had an accident in there. We decided to move her to the kitchen which is a much larger room than said coat closet. We have her baby gate up, her crate is available, toys and a bed. She doesn't howl or whine nearly as much while we're gone in here. We let her out to potty several times before we leave in the morning, making sure she poops too. Our neighbors come around noon to let her out and play for a bit, then I get home around 4:30 and let her out right away. She did great the first couple of days being in the kitchen with no accidents. I came home today and found that she had peed in the house. I understand that puppies this young can't hold their pee for very long so what I'm wondering is: is it ok if she has accidents, as long as we use an enzyme cleaner, until she is able to hold her bladder, or would you suggest getting an x-pen to make the space she is in smaller? I wish we had the flexibility with our jobs to come home a couple of times to let her out, but unfortunately we don't.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Puppies WILL have accidents no matter what :) don't beat yourself up when she has an accident. Mistakes happen, just be sure to reward like crazy when she goes outside. And if you see her sit by your door to go outside, take her right away.

My JRT puppy started asking to go outside at around 10-11 weeks. He's 15 weeks now and we went about 2 weeks without an accident! Yesterday he had an accident but it was because he was asking to go outside, my mom (who was watching him while I was in the shower) didn't know his signs (he was in the basement and the door to go outside is on the main floor).

·
Registered
32 Posts
One accident in the first two weeks is amazing. That suggests that she has already connected doing her business with outside:) My pup did that as well, but at 9 weeks old her bladder control is close to none existing, so you shouldn't beat yourself up for an accident here and there. Not until you experience that she goes in the house most of the time, then the association has been broken. How many days was she in the kitchen without an accident? Maybe you should limit her space a tiny bit if it was the first or second day, and then gradually give her more space as the days go by without an accident.

Regarding your jobs she'll be just fine if you're present when you're home:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts