Dog Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had my heeler puppy for 1.5 months. She’s 4 months and I got her at 9 weeks old. Recently she’s started herding me in the hallway, aggressively. It’s the only place she’ll do it. If I ignore it, she puts holes in my pants, and even my sleeves from jumping. The growling is aggressive. I’ve tried picking her up, which stops it even after I put her down, although she growls FIERCELY while im picking her up. If I keep walking, it also seems to make the growling worse. If I bring treats along with me in the hallway, she tries to jump and snarl to grab them. In every other location of the house and outside she is near perfect and listens beautifully, but it’s the hallway that makes her go crazy. Also, she only does it sometimes, even after a ton of exercise, even after she’s had a nap and is rested. Please give me advice. I’m hesitant to go in my own hallway, and it’s affecting me so negatively.

·
Super Moderator
7,251 Posts
The easiest way to stop a dog from doing a behaviour you don't like is to train an alternative, incompatible one. It's like us - ”don't do ” is difficult. If I said to you, ”don't think of a pink and green cartoon elephant” what comes to mind?

So, I'd train a really solid and well rewarded ”sit” in a special place, like on a mat at the end or side of the hallway. If she is sitting in her special place, she isn't jumping and nipping you. You have to make it really well rewarded though, to make it a far better choice for her.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I like both pieces of advice given above. I would add another idea: teach her to Stay or Wait. Reward her heavily for waiting only one second, then for 2 seconds, and so on, building up very slowly until you can walk away from her and she will hold a Stay for long enough for you to go to the other end of the hallway. then call her and have a party of treats and happy voice praise when she comes. In this way you may be able to shift her thinking about the hallway into being the place where she runs to you and gets treats.

You can also try teaching her other things in the hallway. But if she jumps or nips at you in the process, take her and shut her into another room for 5 minutes and then let her out. Or, you go into a room and shut her out. The idea being that she can do good behaviors in the hall and get rewarded, or if she does bad behaviors in the hallway she doesn't get to be with you any more and all the fun stops.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Take some time to consider what it is about the hallway that sets her off.
Growling, jumping, biting can be a form of (rough) play, but it can also be due to anxiety/stress and as a puppy she knows no other way to express it.
Perhaps- consider whether the hallway was used as a place to play when she was smaller?
Could it be the lighting or the way noises sound a bit different, perhaps your footsteps 'echo' a bit, or perhaps she doesn't feel comfortable in a confined (narrow) space - yet?

If she were my pup, I would start at one end of the hallway, and toss treats into it, encourage her to go and get them, and return to me, before tossing the treats a bit further, as she is easily able to go and get them. And/or I would try slowly 'walking' her down the hall with me, rewarding every step of the way, if need be, for keeping her paws on the floor, focusing on me, keeping her brain engaged, maybe occasionally stopping for a brief sit, ultimately, 'showing' her/helping her learn how I want her to behave in the hallway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.