Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Our 8-month old lab puppy just started barking and growling at her reflection in glass windows. Although it was kind of cute at first, we don't want to encourage this behavior for the long-term. Any suggestions on how to stop it?

·
Registered
13,313 Posts
This is quite normal puppy behavior. We generally just manage this by gently calling the puppy away from the reflection and distracting with a toy. Also, we try to minimize the situations where the puppy encounters this. Often its a certain time of night, in a certain room, where the light is just right for this to happen. Puppies also tend to be tired in the evening, and more easily alarmed, so it might be nap time, or quite time on someone's lap etc. to avoid this.

They usually outgrow this behavior, although our Tessa still has the spooks at the back door, late at night, if she's had a long day. ;)

Reactions: Nylanat

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Do not wash your windows so there is no reflection...LOL Just kidding
What glass is it? If it is a sliding door you can put stickers on it so it is not a full reflection. I use them to prevent the dog from slamming into it thinking it is open.

I would also teach him "leave it". Working on lead you simply tell him to leave it and turn away from what ever he is going toward or looking at. This can be anything...you are just teaching him to walk away when you say leave it. Always praise as soon as he looks away.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Luke used to do that. He doesn't anymore, but he sometimes seems royally confused when he sees MY reflection. He looks at me, my reflection, back at me. I laugh and then he gets all goofy. Silly pups!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.