Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So a bit of background, I have a 6 year old Rottweiler/Pitbull mix who is neutered, and perfectly house-trained and has been since he was about 10 weeks old (we got him at 6 weeks).

We recently got a new addition to the pack, a 14 week old Rottweiler/Blue tick Hound mix (we got her at 9 weeks). She has yet to be spayed.

We also have a doggie door which she has been trained to use and uses it, with both my husband and I leading her there, with her brother, and most often, she uses on her own. She goes pee outside about 90% of the time, and always poops outside - never inside.

The issue I am having is that she will randomly pee in the living room and also on the dining room area rug. With no warning - no "tell tale" signs and always with my back turned or in another room. She will literally be playing wonderfully with her toy in the kitchen with me - run to the living room and before I even have a chance to respond - she is already back in the kitchen playing. Basically it has been damn near impossible to "catch" her in the act. I have done it in the past though, stopped her and taken her out immediately all while saying "go potty" when she is outside - praising and treating when she goes outside, etc. ALL of the things they tell you to do. I have a spot cleaning machine which I follow up with enzyme cleaner.

I have restricted her area, and then after a few days of no peeing, I will open up the area, and she will pee in those same 2 places. :mad:

She seems to know to go outside, because she does it on her own via doggie door, but I still can't break her of this last bit.

She has a crate that she sleeps in at night, and can sleep through the night without peeing in there, so I know she has pretty good bladder control.

Is it still too early to panic or complain? Is this normal for her age? I just didn't have these same issues with her brother (I know all dogs are different and respond differently).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Every puppy has their own timeline. She sounds perfectly normal to me, and you're still allowed to complain sometimes -- puppies are a lot of work!

If it makes you feel better, I have a 16 week old puppy who is definitely not potty trained. She's making tremendous progress, and can easily give the illusion that she's mostly there, but there are still moments like this morning, when I said, "let me take my last sip of coffee and then I'll get the puppy out for her second pee," lifted my cup to my lips, and set it down just in time to see puppy squatting. Sigh.

From what you describe, it sounds like your puppy may have too much responsibility for her own choices right now. She's being asked to learn a pretty complex task -- identify that she needs to pee, pee only outside, remember how to get outside, and then do all those things in the right order, even when other exciting things may be distracting her. That's a lot for a tiny puppy brain!

Maybe consider restricting her to whatever room you're in (and if it's one of the "accident" rooms, watch her like a hawk for those first "maybe I need to pee" signs), taking her out more frequently, and increasing the value of the treats you're feeding her to celebrate outdoor success (like cheese or chicken instead of a dry biscuit, or whatever the "next step up" would be for you). Aim to do this for about 2-3 weeks, rather than just a few days, and you'll give yourself a better chance of less frustration in the long run.

Puppies! At least they are cute, right :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts