Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been having some trouble finding a good puppy food brand for our 4 month old hound mix Sadie. She has a sensitive stomach and she is a very picky eater. She likes food that has a strong smell or flavor to it. We have been feeding her the blue buffalo but our vet doesn't think the blue buffalo is a good fit for her. We have tried other brands like nutro, natural balence and different Falvors but nothing has really been great or approved by her. any suggestions? Also anything not to expensive?

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmm. I really like Canidae. Their "All Life Stages" formula is supposed to be appropriate for puppies, they also have a large breed puppy formula if she's a large breed. My girl who gets diarrhea on some other high end brands does well on it, so it might be alright for your girl's sensitive stomach. It's not too expensive, $48 for a 44lb bag. The only problem is that it's not super stinky or anything, in fact it has not too much odor. But my picky eater likes it alright ...I do put a little bit of wet food on the bottom and mix it in to encourage her to eat, but she will eat it wo that, it just takes her all day. I really do highly recommend doing that for a picky eater though, mixing in a little wet. I put a little bit on the bottom of the bowl, add a tiny bit of water so it's like a gravy consistency, then mix the dry food in so it's thoroughly covered. My girl who normally takes all day to finish her meal if she finishes at all will chow down if I do that! I can understand not wanting to go through that extra trouble, but really it only takes about 3 minutes, and the wet food costs like $1.70 a can for the good stuff and lasts close to 2 weeks w the amount I use.

It might be worth trying a small bag of the Canidae, but there are a ton of high quality foods out there to choose from so don't take my opinion as the be all end all (I'm sure you won't, just saying) ...maybe if you can find a fish based puppy food? Those are usually quite smelly. Unfortunately w puppy foods there's not usually a wide variety of flavours available.
Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
We have been having some trouble finding a good puppy food brand for our 4 month old hound mix Sadie. She has a sensitive stomach and she is a very picky eater.

Sounds like my hound. Zignature turkey worked for him. He has a meat intolerance. I finally figured it out. It wasn't that he was picky it was that the meat in the other food made him have a stomach ache. He loves the signature and gobbles it up. Get a small bag and try it. Check on the locater for a store near you, they don't have it at petco or petsmart.
Zignature® - Dry Dog Food

1 - 3 of 3 Posts