Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping some of you can share your favorite online resources for puppy food ratings and reviews. We will be bringing home our Boston Terrier pup at the end of this week. I need some websites my husband and I can use to make a decision. We'll also be inquiring with the vet when we take him on Saturday but would love to have some understanding beforehand of our options. Thanks!

·
Banned
5,528 Posts
I'm not sure there is actually a good one. It may be best to just ask around to see what people like and what their dogs do well on.

Do NOT use dogfoodadvisor. It's written by a human dentist who knows nothing about nutrition at all. There is another site that is almost as crappy as dogfoodadvisor but I'm forgetting it's name at the moment.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Ask around to friends and of course people on this forum. I'd be wary of what your vet says; many of them push crappy food like Science Diet or Royal Cainn food.
I personally like Blue Buffalo or Orajin (spelling? Been awhile since I fed it)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Stay away from dog foods that have corn as the first ingredient or have colorful kibble, for example Beneful.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I would find a Boston Terrier forum and ask them. Sometimes certain breeds tend to have more problems with a certain thing. For example, many scottie owners report chicken or lamb allergies. Try something that works for them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im assuming you are getting your puppy from a breeder? If so I would ask them what the puppy has been getting and keep him on that or slowly switch him to a new food (in which case you will still need to get a small bag of the old food). My puppy is on Fromm and she loves it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm hoping some of you can share your favorite online resources for puppy food ratings and reviews. We will be bringing home our Boston Terrier pup at the end of this week. I need some websites my husband and I can use to make a decision. We'll also be inquiring with the vet when we take him on Saturday but would love to have some understanding beforehand of our options. Thanks!
Congratulations on your puppy! I love Bostons, I used to have one and he was such a blast.
I'm not sure there is actually a good one. It may be best to just ask around to see what people like and what their dogs do well on.

Do NOT use dogfoodadvisor. It's written by a human dentist who knows nothing about nutrition at all. There is another site that is almost as crappy as dogfoodadvisor but I'm forgetting it's name at the moment.
^^100% agree, as usual. The draw to sites like dogfoodadvisor, dogfoodanalysis, dogfoodscoops, thedogfoodproject, etc... is that they are "unbiased" because they don't work for a pet food company. What you will notice though, is everyone is biased based on their knowledge, experience, etc..... What I would recommend is always consider the source. Look for references, education, peer reviewed published articles, etc...
Ask around to friends and of course people on this forum. I'd be wary of what your vet says; many of them push crappy food like Science Diet or Royal Cainn food.
I personally like Blue Buffalo or Orajin (spelling? Been awhile since I fed it)
Really? Most vets dedicate their lives to the well-being of animals. Do you really think they would intentionally push crappy food? REALLY??? What do Veterinarians Know About Nutrition? | The SkeptVet Blog
I feed my dogs and cats Royal Canin and I wouldn't feed anything else. They do tons of research and their quality control is unmatched. My pets are in perfect health, have beautiful skin and coats, healthy teeth, and are in great body condition. (Okay, one of my cats tries really hard to be fat, but we have it under control).
Stay away from dog foods that have corn as the first ingredient
Posted via Mobile Device
The ingredient label is not a good way to judge food. It merely lists the order of the ingredients by descending weight. If they use "fresh" ingredients, it means it enters their facility with the water still attached. AKA it's heavier. AKA it's higher up in the ingredient list. It's the nutrients that your pet is receiving from the food, who is formulating the diets, the quality control measures they use, the research they do.....etc... that is important. Not the ingredients.

I posted this thread a while back... http://www.dogforum.com/dog-food/pet-food-company-survey-20141/it's it's a good starting point for finding a good, trustworthy company to feed your pet. If you ask these questions of any company that's not listed, please add their answers to the thread.

Good luck, and have fun with your new family member!!!

:)

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Mythbuster, I am only speaking from experience. My dog is allergic to both corn and soy (yes, I'm sure. Did the tests and food trials and everything. Cost a pretty penny too!) and my vet still Continued to push SD and RC on us, even though they both contained corn and/or soy. I have since changed vets, but most of my experience with them is the same. It's like a dental office; they advise different tooth pastes. One may advise Crest the other Colgate.
I was not attack you for your choice of food, and won't do that to anyone. However, I feel slightly hurt about the way you responded to my awnser to the OP. I said what I feel and I stand by it. Everyone has their own opinions. :)
To the OP: yes, congrats on the puppy! Bostons are absolutely adorable
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies. I'll let my husband read over these with me tonight.

I do also belong to a Boston Terrier forum. I will inquire there as well. I've been leaning towards trying him on Blue Buffalo.

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts
Congrats on your pup!
Bostons are such fun little dogs!:D

Blue Buffalo is a nice choice! Certainly a very popular food that is viewed as good quality. Most dogs do very well on it!:)

As you can see nothing is really cut and dry when it comes to pet foods.
Personally I am in the camp that prefers a more natural, holistic food (does not contain artificial coloring, preservatives, etc). I make my own wet food and purchase dry kibble (Canidae and Before Grain). If I had the time and money I would go completely home cooked. I agree that it is important to look at the company, their safety measures, nutrients, etc. But I also think that the the quality of the ingredients and where they are coming from is important!;)

Personally, I really like to look at the Whole Dog Journal's List of approved foods. (Blue Buffalo is on the list!;)) I tend to find it quite helpful as a starting point. They provide some info such as plants used to manufacture foods that can sometimes be a bit tricky to find. My vets (2 att he same practice) actually post this in their office.

If interested in checking it out then you should be able to download the 2012 list by clicking on the blue link right below the second paragraph of the article. If you have any problems let me know. I have a subscription to WDJ so all articles pop up for me but that is not always the case for people without a subscription. If that happens I can email the entire article and list to you through the WDJ website. :)
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_02/features/Top-Dry-Dog-Food-Review-2012_20460-1.html

AmandaNola said:
Mythbuster, I am only speaking from experience. My dog is allergic to both corn and soy (yes, I'm sure. Did the tests and food trials and everything. Cost a pretty penny too!) and my vet still Continued to push SD and RC on us, even though they both contained corn and/or soy. I have since changed vets, but most of my experience with them is the same. It's like a dental office; they advise different tooth pastes. One may advise Crest the other Colgate.
I was not attack you for your choice of food, and won't do that to anyone. However, I feel slightly hurt about the way you responded to my awnser to the OP. I said what I feel and I stand by it. Everyone has their own opinions. :)
You are certainly not the only person to have such experiences with a vet.;)
I rarely speak up as it seems to be a sensitive topic, but IME vets can be all over the place especially with food recommendations! We have moved around a bit (Western NY > Western PA > Western NY > VA just outside of D.C. > Central PA) and used quite a few different vets over the years. I have had vets who never asked what we were feeding nor made any recommendations. We have had vets push Science Diet extremely hard and one basically tried to scare me into using it, even though my dogs were in great shape! And there have been vets in the middle.
Luckily I now have vets (there are 2 at the practice) whose views are similar to mine. One of our vets is particularly interested in nutrition and has certainly continued to educate herself. She home cooks. The other vet actually feeds Orijen. They do sell prescrition diets, but recommend foods I am comfy with to healthy dogs and cats. Like I mentioned above, they post the WDJ's list of foods in their exam rooms for clients to look over.:)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina83
Stay away from dog foods that have corn as the first ingredient
Posted via Mobile Device
The ingredient label is not a good way to judge food. It merely lists the order of the ingredients by descending weight. If they use "fresh" ingredients, it means it enters their facility with the water still attached. AKA it's heavier. AKA it's higher up in the ingredient list. It's the nutrients that your pet is receiving from the food, who is formulating the diets, the quality control measures they use, the research they do.....etc... that is important. Not the ingredients.
Thank you Mythbuster, never knew that! I always thought a protein like chicken or lamb for example should be the first ingredient.
OP, Congratulations on your new Puppy :)
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 12 of 12 Posts