Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

So I just got back from the vet, Heidi has a rash on her tummy :( The vet says it could be allergies, either from laying in something, or from her food. So now she has medicated shampoo, and a topical gel to apply.

Now, she had seriously disgusting poops when we got her (probably because she was on Purina Puppy Chow, seriously read the ingredients on there), and she poops a lot. Like I'm talking around 8 times a day, plus at least once during the night (generally 1 am and between 6:30-7) We made the switch to ToTW Bison Puppy, but her poops didn't improve. So we tried switching her to her current protein, ToTW Fish, but still no improvement.

We took her to our old vet when she was back home, and they did a Fecal and she was positive for Hookworm. So her and Levi were both prescribed Drontal and Heidi threw up each time she had to take a pill. Both vomits occurred significantly after the pill (~4+ hours) so we are hoping the medicine was absorbed. Her last does was Sept. 24th, and we still weren't seeing any improvement.

We've recently tried adding some canned pumpkin to her food, and while they are a little better sometimes, it's still very soft 99% of the time. So today at the vet they mentioned some food suggestions, but none of them seem like ones I want to try without some unbiased DF opinions. The vet has suggested:

From the Vet Clinic:
-Hill's Healthy Advantage
-Medical Development

Pet Store:
-Science Diet
-Royal Canin
-Eukanuba
-ProPlan

I wanted to switch both dogs onto Orijen, but Levi's tummy couldn't handle it - he would vomit within 15 minutes of ingesting even a few pieces. Which was strange because we went with basic chicken, and he eats raw chicken!

So, I am open to suggestions. I would definitely consider going back to raw, I just hate arguing with my vet about whether or not it is safe. I live in Canada, so some brands I've read on here I don't think are available to me, and Chewy doesn't ship to Canada. Price doesn't really matter, I feel bad watching her poop so often and for so long (it almost looks likes she is really pushing to get it out), so if we find something that works for her, that's fine by me.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
id get a different wormer like propantel F my Jessie cant have drontal, miblemax she vomits and vomits but with the propantel F so far so good till gave her it when she had sore tummy by accident. also what about endoguard wormer? as for food acana do single protien and do you get addiction pet food there as they do single protien like venison, pork, lamb, salmon. Acana do single ones too but pricey even here in NZ pricey.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Dawnben Maybe I'll take the pups out to the store today and check out some of those Go options.
@crazy - Yeah they've put a note on her file that now she will require a different dewormer thank goodness. I haven't heard of Addiction, but I'll look today when I'm out. I would also consider Acana, I'll have to see how it sits with Levi as well.

Ugh maybe I should just go Raw again, they love it. Where are all the pro-raw vets?! :(

·
Registered
130 Posts
I know TOW does really well with most dogs and its grain free so it should help. When switching over dog foods did you switch over slowly? If not the dogs stomachs might be upset and thats why you are still seeing the soft poop.

I know American Nautral Premium (ANP) has a Sensitive stomach bag of food. You could also try ANP Ocean and Fish its good for their coat and most dogs do really well with fish. Some dogs have problems with Chicken, Turkey and sometimes Duck. Those are just a couple of options you could try. I would stick to a Grain Free diet and see if that helps. Just remember to switch the dogs over slowly to the new food.

Old food 75%-25% New food for 3 days
Old food 50%-50% New food for 3 days
Old food 25%-75% New food for 3 days
New food 100%

I hope this helps and the hookworms clear up!

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Have you tried adding white rice to her food? I always do that when my dogs stool is soft. The extra fiber helps.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@jclark343 - Hmm we have not tried white rice, just pumpkin. That may be worth a shot.

I just feel bad for her, when she poops they are quite large, and she poops for like 5-10 minutes. And they STINK. I recognize they shouldn't smell like roses, but they are very smelly. :p

·
Registered
89 Posts
The Humane Society and our Vet recommended Hills Healthy Development for our pup. Her breed(s) are known to have fussy stomachs and she did well on the Hills Science stuff. We just switched her to Kirkland puppy food since she was doing well.

I would suggest picking a brand and doing the very slow transition suggested above. White rice is also another good suggestion. When my spaniel had an upset tummy the vet always suggested feeding ONLY chicken (boiled) and white rice for a day or two, allow the stomach to settle, then slowly add kibble back in.

Also, what else are you feeding the dogs? Are you giving them treats? Those might also be causing issues.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Maiabean - I pretty much avoid any food with grains in them, which eliminates a lot of the brands mentioned above.

We did the slow transition onto ToTW, and Levi has great poops/does really well on it, so we were quite surprised that Heidi didn't do as well.

I think we will switch her onto a bland diet of rice and chicken until we can figure out what to do with her kibble situation or if we want to go back to raw.

For treats, we mainly use either their kibble in the house (since there are minimal distractions), dehydrated liver, chicken, beef, or sometimes in class we use Zukes. She doesn't get a lot, but maybe we will scale back Zukes for a while.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I think in your case, since there was a confirmed case of worms that maybe you should focus on making sure that's taken care of before trying to fix the diet. Maybe that takes care of it.

As for the foods Simba (who has serious digestive problems with most foods) eats RC Gastrointestinal and has been pooping perfectly for the last 2 months that he's been on it. No other side effects noticed. It's not cheap though, but in my case not having to watch him suffer through diarrhea is worth the cost.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Esand - I think you're right. I dropped off her stool sample yesterday, so I think I'll call them in a little bit and see what the results are. If she still has worms that could definitely be causing some digestive issues.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
@jclark343 - Hmm we have not tried white rice, just pumpkin. That may be worth a shot.

I just feel bad for her, when she poops they are quite large, and she poops for like 5-10 minutes. And they STINK. I recognize they shouldn't smell like roses, but they are very smelly. :p
Oh the rice is great! Binds mine right back up. I will usually do like a cup of rice and cut their food back a little. Pumpkin never did anything for me but turn their poops orange.

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good grief, can't catch a break. Called the vet, and the hookworms are gone, but she has Giardia. So now I'm off to the vet to get medication for both dogs, and I have some serious sanitizing to do. Plus, I don't want to get it. Beaver Fever. Gross.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Good grief, can't catch a break. Called the vet, and the hookworms are gone, but she has Giardia. So now I'm off to the vet to get medication for both dogs, and I have some serious sanitizing to do. Plus, I don't want to get it. Beaver Fever. Gross.
Oh, that sounds horrible....

·
Registered
156 Posts
We had a hard time with our girl's stomach when we first got her. She was on Now grain free but had what we called "starbucks poops" because they must have been worth around $5.00 each! Not to mention, she went about 6 times a day! She was tested for worms, giardia, etc. and everything came back negative.

So, we finally switched to raw food and BOOM, perfect! We give her turkey backs, chicken backs, necks, etc. occasionally white rice if we have leftovers and anything out of the organic bin that's safe for her. She goes twice a day now and they're normal and solid.

Honestly, it's been the best thing for our girl. She's got a great coat, is super muscular and very active. Our vet said they don't typically recommend raw but if you get good quality meat and you handle it well, it's great and she said that our girl looks great so keep doing whatever we're doing.

Might be worth a try!

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
I forgot @Shandula to mention that Jessie( in avater) has colitiis from time to time she is raw fed but i really had to narrow it down and simplfy her diet. Well when she had her first flare up of it i tried fibre she hated it but what she loved was barley! i cooked the barley (in boiled water) for a few hours at most until it was soft as and got a container and strained the water out of the pan and barley. when the water cooled down i gave her 50 mls a day and it fixes her diareha mostly overnight! she had a flare up but from what is unclear whether was the fat content of the duck neck or an intolerance and on top of that whether it was running around after giving her tripe which she vomited up on way to training ugh! plus gave the wormer to her that day none helps.

but it firms up that poo overnight cools down the guts and inflammation when i run out the barley water i finish the grains off giving a small spoonful a day and if need be cook more barley grains. It doesnt mess up her urine ph either! its great maybe something you could try? sorry to hear about the giardia how nasty. i got tested for all sorts of nasties for that recently thankfully wasnt that but medication withdrawal stuffing up my stomach with gastro virus

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
As much as I hate vet food, Hill's and RC aren't the worst foods out there, and if they stop the squirts...well bonus.

If you want other options, there's plenty out there. Personally you know I'm a fan of Champion, but I've fed some of the Go! foods as well and they only issue we've had is the smelly gases that occur. You can also try Petkind, it's made in BC and the tripette is Tessa's fave wet food (although it is smelly), they make a ALS kibble as well. If you want to stay close to a diamond product like TOTW then Nature's Domain is a good choice.

I know you said you want to stay away from grains, but have you thought about the fact that that might not be a good choice for Heidi? Just look for the right grains. Foods with things like quinoa, oatmeal, and even rice can help pups/dogs with digestive upset.

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
i agree with @KayWilson if there was a dog food either here in NZ or in uk with protien she can have without any fruit and veges id go with a grain food esp one with barley to help her colitis and prevent any flare ups. i cook barley for her and it really helps

·
Banned
6,019 Posts
though i dont like hills or royal canin hills does seem a bit better then royal canin at least in new zealand anyway. RC ingredients in NZ are awful compared to hills

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey everyone! Thank you SO much for all your suggestions. So we've decided to stick with ToTW while she is under treatment for Giardia, as we don't want to stress her anymore than need be.

I'm pretty pleased to say that over the past two days I have seen an improvement in her poops, they are really starting to firm up. We should have another fecal done tomorrow, and if it is negative, we will try her for a week or two on ToTW to see if her poops stay firm.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts