Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there

I have been reading a lil about dry puppy food and have some idea whats good and whats not. I am using 1st choice puppy food but i now realized it is not too good.

I have since selected Acana, Wellness and Primal. Pls let me know if you are recommending something else.

Is it also true that dogs might be more prone to skin allergies if they take dog food which consists of chicken?

If i do change the dog food, should i slowly transition this for my puppy?

Sorry for the many questions. Appreciate any help i can get. Thanks!

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Hi

acana and wellness are great food! Not sure about primal never fed it due to chicken allergy. Yes it's true chicken is high allergy but so is beef and it takes time to develop allergies. No matter what any allergies to grains, proteins even flaxseed can occur later on. If said pup does well on chicken stick with it unless red paws discolouration of fur, excessive itching/pae biting etc occur. My Jessie can't tolerate most dry proteins so put on premade raw venison and bing agree with her allergies. Since added raw rabbit as well as lamb.

Please transition over seven to 10days. Up to day orCould get unpleasant effects

Reactions: Rain

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
All good choices for food. I would add Orijin puppy to the list. I don't know why most puppy food is chicken. Lamb and chicken are high on the list of allergy dogs because it is used so much. Dosent mean your pup will be allergic to it. A slow transition is good to prevent stomach issues. But don't be surprised if the pup picks out the new food and leaves the old. I also love Zignature but they don't have a puppy formula theirs is all life stages. My cousins Doxie does great on it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Acana, Wellness, Fromm, GO!, Zignature, Native, Life's Abundance, Taste of the Wild, Nature's Variety, Preformatrin Ultra grain free, Earthborn Holistics, Canidae and Back to Basics are all ones that I have frequently heard suggested.. Of those I have experience with Back to Basics, Canidae (prefer the Pure Elements varieties), EarthBorn, Preformatrin, TOTW and Nature's Variety (the grain free versions)... and am on my first bag ever of Zignature....

Reactions: Jinxxy

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Hello there

I have been reading a lil about dry puppy food and have some idea whats good and whats not. I am using 1st choice puppy food but i now realized it is not too good.

I have since selected Acana, Wellness and Primal. Pls let me know if you are recommending something else.

Is it also true that dogs might be more prone to skin allergies if they take dog food which consists of chicken?

If i do change the dog food, should i slowly transition this for my puppy?

Sorry for the many questions. Appreciate any help i can get. Thanks!
I've fed both Acana and Wellness. Both are good. I've used both Wellness' grain free and grain inclusive lines. I was feeding Orijen before switching to raw.

No.

It's recommended, yes.

Reactions: Jinxxy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've fed both Acana and Wellness. Both are good. I've used both Wellness' grain free and grain inclusive lines. I was feeding Orijen before switching to raw.

No.

It's recommended, yes.
Thanks Amanda. Mind if i ask which lines of product did you use for Wellness? I do see that they have a variety of lines for puppy.. supermix, complete health etc.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Thanks Amanda. Mind if i ask which lines of product did you use for Wellness? I do see that they have a variety of lines for puppy.. supermix, complete health etc.
I fed complete small breed puppy and then the CORE puppy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts