Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Really struggling with puppy food choices and keeping my budget in line.We have a now 7 month old Boston that we have apparently been under feeding.He is at a good weight of 16lbs but i am concerned about development from feeding him adult dog food at less than the required amount.. He eats like a crazy man,he scarfs his food down so fast,grunting,moaning like he hasn't eaten in days.He never seemed full.We have been feeding him Freshpet Chunky Beef.We were giving him 1 quarter pound 3 times a day.Now i find that he should of been eating double that because he is a puppy.Well doing the math,that would come out to $270 a month! They recommend 3/4 lbs a day,if we double that,it would be 1 1/2 lbs a day.We weigh all his food,when we put a 1/2 pound of food in a bowl for one feeding,i couldn't believe that would be right...That's a lot of food and to do it 3 times a day?!

When we first got him he was eating Merrick's Puppy Kibble but he ate so fast,he was choking on the kibbles,once we had to rush him to the vet...That's why we decided to go with Freshpet.

Now he is a little older,wanting to try to go back to Merrick's.With Merrick's Puppy food,they say 2 cups (16oz) a day for his weight.That would come out to 25 days of feeding at $60

Seems like the dry food takes less,16oz Merrick compared to 24oz Freshpet.Not sure why...I know 1 cup (8oz) of dry Merrick's looks like a WHOLE lot less than 8oz of Freshpet! Maybe the difference is due to density?

Can anyone else offer any input on cost versus quality and different foods.He doesn't seem to have a chicken allergy,i still would rather not feed it to him but it seems they put some type of chicken in everything i have found for puppies.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I use the brand called puppy chow, Do you guys think that is healthy or should I give them something else?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Really struggling with puppy food choices and keeping my budget in line.We have a now 7 month old Boston that we have apparently been under feeding.He is at a good weight of 16lbs but i am concerned about development from feeding him adult dog food at less than the required amount.. He eats like a crazy man,he scarfs his food down so fast,grunting,moaning like he hasn't eaten in days.He never seemed full.We have been feeding him Freshpet Chunky Beef.We were giving him 1 quarter pound 3 times a day.Now i find that he should of been eating double that because he is a puppy.Well doing the math,that would come out to $270 a month! They recommend 3/4 lbs a day,if we double that,it would be 1 1/2 lbs a day.We weigh all his food,when we put a 1/2 pound of food in a bowl for one feeding,i couldn't believe that would be right...That's a lot of food and to do it 3 times a day?!

When we first got him he was eating Merrick's Puppy Kibble but he ate so fast,he was choking on the kibbles,once we had to rush him to the vet...That's why we decided to go with Freshpet.

Now he is a little older,wanting to try to go back to Merrick's.With Merrick's Puppy food,they say 2 cups (16oz) a day for his weight.That would come out to 25 days of feeding at $60

Seems like the dry food takes less,16oz Merrick compared to 24oz Freshpet.Not sure why...I know 1 cup (8oz) of dry Merrick's looks like a WHOLE lot less than 8oz of Freshpet! Maybe the difference is due to density?

Can anyone else offer any input on cost versus quality and different foods.He doesn't seem to have a chicken allergy,i still would rather not feed it to him but it seems they put some type of chicken in everything i have found for puppies.
You could use a slow feeding mat to stop your puppy from eating to fast we use it for Nova and it is really helping so she doesn't inhale her food within 2 seconds ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had great results with Taste of the Wild salmon for puppies. My vet suggested we change to a grain-inclusive brand though. Slowly switched to Canidae Chicken all stages but our Wheaten was not interested and the poop issues were not good! Changed to 4Health Salmon from Tractor Supply and things are back to normal. Its ingredients are good, grain-inclusive, she likes it and it's very affordable. It's a small investment to try it, if there's a Tractor Supply in your area.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts