Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

We are new here but desperate for advice/experiences!

Baws is a 14 week old Olde English Bulldogge. About 3 weeks ago he started having really bad episodes occurring after periods of over stimulation (walks out side mainly, trips to the store, being alone with the vet, too much play). It starts out with walking sideways, stiffening his legs, and arching his back. Leads to stumbling and disorientation, leaning up against walls, and then eventually eyes twitching, rolling back in his head, shallow breathing, and increased heart rate. As soon as he sleeps he is back to normal.

I have been trying to work with my vet but she isn’t proving to be super helpful and instead of running typical bloodwork and tests, told me to see a neurologist. We really want to explore all of our options but feel there might be something that has been missed and are at a loss of who to turn to.

He is a very healthy puppy in every other way and we are heart broken watching him go through this.

Please, if this sounds at all familiar or you have any advice let us know!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Agreed that a neurologist would be the next best course of action. If that's not something you want to pursue yet and are not happy with your current vets course of action you can always seek a second opinion from another vet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another neurologist vote here. Will be less likely to run tests that aren't strictly needed and seizures in such a young dog are unfortunately pretty uncommon so a neurologist may end up cheaper in the long run as well as give the best chance of getting a diagnosis. second opinion another option too clearly

·
Registered
12 Posts
A neurologist is most likely the best next step. But if you want to do a full health panel your vet should respect that - and if they don't find a new one.

Some other information you can gather:
Olde English Bulldogge isn't a very common breed, did you get from a breeder? Ask them for a list of disorders his line has been tested for.

There's also home dna health kits that can be used to narrow down what he doesn't/does have.

-----------------

And when I first heard you description it reminded me of a disorder I heard about in Staffies - L2HGA. But the only personal account I found also mentioned behavior changes so it might not be related.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I think that’s the one thing I hadn’t stumbled on in all of our googling!

We set up an appointment with a neurologist unfortunately the soonest they could see us was 2 and a half weeks out. Until then we are just trying to limit his excitement which isn’t easy and another issue all in itself with a 14 week very outgoing bulldog puppy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts