Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 6 month old shih tzu. She has been eating her poop. When we see her go, we pick it up. We don't always see her poop.

We've tried putting pineapple, carrot, spinach, forbid and other poop deterrent stuff in her food but she still eats it.

I tried putting bitter apple on her poop but that didn't work.

I want to try putting something spicy or hot on her poop.

Any suggestion on what I can do to get her to stop eating her poop?

Thank You,

Bernice

·
Registered
261 Posts
How are there situations where she poops and you don't know about it? Is she being sneaky and doing it in the house? Or do they not have leash laws where you live when you're outside?

Anyway, she does it because poop is delicious! To dogs, at least. Somehow she developed a taste for it and I think the only thing now is to just prevent the opportunity to indulge in it. Mine likes poop too, but I don't let him off leash yet so he just doesn't get the opportunity to eat poop because I'm there to clean it up immediately.

Some people say it's because of a lack of nutrition. That's wrong though. The flip side is that if you feed them a high nutrient diet, not all the nutrients get absorbed before it gets passed. So then the dog has poop that still has some digestible nutrients in it, which will make all the more likely for them to want to eat it.

At this point I think it's just management.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your fast reply. We have a fenced yard. Sometimes we let her out by herself and she poops and we don't see it, she eats it. Other times we take her on the leash in the backyard but 9 out of 10 times she won't poop but she will pee when we're out there. When we take her for walks, she doesn't potty. She doesn't even pee on walks. We have a weird puppy. LOL

Bernice

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also think management is your only option. Perhaps pay your neighbor kids a few bucks to check your yard for land mines every week?
My dog doesn't eat dog poop (so far, haha), but she thinks horse poop is of the highest gourmet.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am dealing with this same problem with my newest addition. I have a fenced-in yard as well and now that it's only sunny during the hours that I am at work it's hard to maintain poop pickup during the week, so there is ample opportunity for her to indulge her horrible habit. Since it is very cold out too her poop is now frozen into little poopsicles, and she's been bringing them into the house if I don't see that she has one hidden in her mouth!! (I'm on to her now though... they get cookies when they come in from going potty so if she runs right passed me and foregoes the cookie then I know she's got her poopsicle).

I started putting a little canned pumpkin in their food and that did the trick... no more poop dining and when I ran out she started it back up again. For you though I'm not really sure that will do it if you've basically already tried everything under the sun in that department, ha. You might have to just be super diligent about cleaning up.

Daylight Savings Time can't come soon enough, in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts