Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My female german sheperd puppy named roxy is about 2 and a half months old. She doesn't like eating her food, she does eat but only sometimes and only a little bit. When i am eating she goes crazy and starts barking and wants my food. I want her to eat her food and not mine. What should i do???

thanks for reading

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sometimes,warming up the food helps. What food are you feeding? I am no expert for puppy so,I do not know if puppy is eating kibble or not but if she were,you can add warm water to kibble and it should bring up aroma and she may eats it more.

Or is it possible that you are putting the food all day long? If so,you can feed only when meal time and when dog begs you,just ignore her.If Roxy gets what she wants (human food),she may try beg again because begging worked to get what she wanted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Roxy is eating puppy show kibbles. But i feel like im messing it all up. I tried doing that lay down the bowl 2 times a day, but she doesn't eat. It's random, she's still young and so i want to get a strict schedule layed down?

any suggestions?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try a different brand see if that helps also she's a puppy she needs more than an adult she should be eating several times a day vs. only 2. Don't give in to her wanting people food it isn't good for them, you can try mixing about 1/4 can of canned puppy food with her dry food to get her to eat it then slowly wean her off of it. There are also a number of medical problems that will cause them to go off food so watch closely for loose or watery stools and vomiting. If she develops either take her to the vet for a fecal exam.
At 2 1/2 months begging for human food isn't really typical it is a learned behavior that comes over time so unless she is used to getting it frequently she shouldn't be begging for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have your tried mixing a little bit of wet in with her dry food. A vet told me to so that because some dogs dont like plain dry food. But you also might want to try a new brand of food. It took my dog a little while to find what brand fit her. You could also ask your nearest vet and she what they might recomend. Sometimes they give you free samples of food if you are having problems, or at least my vet did.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you have given her people's food, maybe that's why she doesn't like her food. Also don't switch brand so randomly because it's not good for your puppy either. Find a bag of good puppy food and stick with it and follow your feeding schedule. If possible, feed your puppy 3 times a day until she is fully grown.

If you are really need to add something to make your puppy to eat her food, mix kibbles with plain yogurt when you feed her. Don't use milk because it's not good for digestion.

Check out Dog Food Project web site. It has a lot of useful information that will help you select a good food for your puppy.

Link: The Dog Food Project - How does your Dog Food Brand compare?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hello, I'm new to the forum and wanted to do a quick search before work (will return later for in depth search) regarding my puppy's food and why he may not be eating and what brands are tried and true. The link provided here and a LOT of great information but I do not have the time at the moment to go reading all those labels, although I wish I did.
I have a 7 wk old chihuahua mix around 2-4lbs. I am feeding him Purina Puppy Chow several times a day but he doesn't seem to eat more than a couple little pieces. I have given him a piece or two of meat (VERY small) I know I shouldn't but I didn't think it was enough to ruin him from eating HIS food. He has never seemed to like it. I tried adding warm water but no luck. Does anyone know of maybe a softer brand for puppies (he seems to struggle chewing when it's left hard) that has worked for them and is healthy for the puppy? I don't have much money but I wont sacrifice his health so I will get whatever I need to. Any advice is appreciated and I apologize in advance for any repeated questions, as I mentioned I'm running out the door to work.
*Also, sorry if I'm not supposed to ask a question in someone elses post ?*

Thanks!
Deborah

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
If you can't afford premium food, which is understandable, I would look for som'one with a costco card and buy the Kirkland dog food...OR walmart has a brand called Maxximum that is decent...both brands are similar price to puppy chow but much much better for your dog. :)

Try a kibble of the puppy chow yourself ...it tastes like salty cardboard. Thats likely why the pup hates it :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think my boss has a Costco card, perhaps I can use that. Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know of any tastier brands/kinds? I have heard more than once that the "puppy chow" isn't that tasty to them. I had very limited options whey buying it and HAD to get something.

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
I think my boss has a Costco card, perhaps I can use that. Thanks for the advice. Do you happen to know of any tastier brands/kinds? I have heard more than once that the "puppy chow" isn't that tasty to them. I had very limited options whey buying it and HAD to get something.

The better the quality of food the better your dog should like it.. If you still get stuck try mixing in a spoonful of plain yogurt or canned dog food. If she still wont eat som'thing is likely wrong and perhaps a checkup at the vet is in order.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Whatever you do don't feed her your food. People food can be bad for dogs.
beeeep! wrong!

Actually I highly reccomend getting your dog on a rotaton diet. Ok so if you ate your favorite cereal every day for a month, even if it was a favorite of yours, would you probably begin to loose interest? Anyone who is normal probably would. Now what if you have had two different foods the previous day? would you have more interest? probably.

For my dogs, I like to feed all kibble somedays, raw meat on the bone other days, raw egg with a bit of kibble another day. Since then my dog eats everything in front of him eagerly, including his kibble.

·
Registered
59 Posts
beeeep! wrong!

Actually I highly reccomend getting your dog on a rotaton diet. Ok so if you ate your favorite cereal every day for a month, even if it was a favorite of yours, would you probably begin to loose interest? Anyone who is normal probably would. Now what if you have had two different foods the previous day? would you have more interest? probably.

For my dogs, I like to feed all kibble somedays, raw meat on the bone other days, raw egg with a bit of kibble another day. Since then my dog eats everything in front of him eagerly, including his kibble.
I hear so many different opinions on feeding dogs "people food". What breed of dog do you have? Would any of those things (raw meat, raw egg) cause any problems that you know of? Why do so many advise against it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
SIDE NOTE: Thizzle (puppy who I wrote about not eating) is getting better at eating more at a time, so I think we'll be fine. I stuck with the same kind and waited a little longer between attempts to feed. I would still like to get a better, more nutritious puppy food tho. Thanks for all the help!!!! Oh PS switching it up a lil with the raw meat and eggs sounds good in theory, does anyone have any advise about this?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
SIDE NOTE: Thizzle (puppy who I wrote about not eating) is getting better at eating more at a time, so I think we'll be fine. I stuck with the same kind and waited a little longer between attempts to feed. I would still like to get a better, more nutritious puppy food tho. Thanks for all the help!!!! Oh PS switching it up a lil with the raw meat and eggs sounds good in theory, does anyone have any advise about this?
I feed raw occasionally. Google "raw diet" and there is a wealth of info. If your going to mix and match (feed raw and kibble) its very important that they are not fed in the same meal (they digest at different rates) My dogs get raw organic eggs probably 3-5 times a week and meat when its on sale :)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I feed raw occasionally. Google "raw diet" and there is a wealth of info. If your going to mix and match (feed raw and kibble) its very important that they are not fed in the same meal (they digest at different rates) My dogs get raw organic eggs probably 3-5 times a week and meat when its on sale :)
I have heard about not mixing raw and kibbles a lot but I don't really understand why the different digestion rate matters. Won't a dog's tummy keeps digesting food until everything get digested?

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
mice and rats and birds?! I give my dogs egg yolk (since i only eat 1 yolk and the rest whites) whenever I make eggs. The only one who gets soft stool is the puppy with the most sensitive stomach in the entire world! lol but its only the first stool after the yolk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts