Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My breeder included dew claw removal in the cost of my Pug puppy. Just wondered what is the average cost for this procedure in Canada (Ontario)?

I know her asking price for my puppy was already a few hundred dollars lower than average ($1500.00). I just wondered how much I really did pay for my puppy. As I'm sure she factored in the cost of vet bills in her asking price.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
There are a lot more expenses factored into the price of your puppy such as food for the female and all the puppies, supplies, etc. so I don't think you can really just subtract the dew claw removal and say that is what the puppy cost you. What you paid is what the puppy cost you. Can't say how much dew claw removal on a puppy would be as the Vets in our area will not take off dew claws, dock tails or crop ears.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I agree that you can't really look at it as you paid for the dewclaws. You paid for a puppy. Breeders typically deworm, do the first vaccines and some even do microchips. In Canada it used to be common, with certain breeds to crop ears and dock tails (however it is now not permitted for vets to do these procedures). I'm sure dewclaws will follow this trend and god I hope it does! I don't agree with it unless they are actually causing issues. I've never done my dogs. Many vets will due it at the time of spay/neutering.

As far as cost goes, getting them done a few days after birth can be very cheap. And being a vet assistant I can tell you it's horrible to witness. They literally just clamp down on them and rip them off while the puppy screams in pain.

When they are older the cost varies. It could be as cheap as an extra 150 at the time of fixing them or if done as the only procedure it can range from a few hundred to close to a thousand depending on how to dewclaws are formed (attached by skin only vs. attached by bone). It also depends on what is included in the surgical process, ie. pre surgical blood work, IV fluids, surgical monitoring, the kind of equipment and drugs used, etc.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Dewclaw removal (which we no longer do on tiny 2-4 day puppies yeah) used to cost $70 office visit litter rate and an addition $5 per puppy. Doc hated doing tails and dewclaws on the new borns so we no longer do it yeah! We have never done ears either.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When done at an "appropriate" age (less than 5 days or so old), in my area, it is around $150-350 USD depending on the litter size and size of the individual pups. Doctors where I work snip the dewclaw off and put a suture to minimize the resulting scar, and yes, the puppies squeal and definitely seem to feel it. For older pups/adult dogs, the surgery is priced as a "toe amputation", so considerably more expensive, plus anesthesia, etc. As others have said though, there are plenty of other expenses associated with whelping a litter (food, xray/ultrasound to confirm pregnancy/count expected size, pre/post whelp exams, etc), particularly with pugs, who are known for sometimes having difficult births due to the breed's physical traits and may incur significant expenses if a c-section is needed. IME though, most breeders aren't pricing their litters based on their costs, but rather based on the "going rate" for the breed in their area (more common with "pet" breeders), or for similar quality pups among other breeders within the breed (more common among "hobby"/"breed fancier" level breeders).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts