Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my family and me got a female miniture poodle last week. Tomorrow she will be 9 weeks old and has been for us for 1 week. First day she was here she kept on crying non stop, luckily this has calmed down and now she sleeps in my room in her crate with the door open, sometimes she wines but then I put my hand down and talk to her until she is quiet. (Should I just ignore the cries though?)

The problem we have right now is outside. When we walk her, she sometimes stays calm in the beginning, or just sits down and won't move. If she doesn't move I pick her up and put her down a bit further. A little later she wil just start whining and crying. I used to pick her up when she started shaking to calm her down, but now she doesn't really shake anymore she will just cry.

I have tried to distract her with toys, treats and use my voice to support her, she just doesn't care about any of them whatsoever.

When she sees other people approaching, same thing. Crying, pulling to get to them, very excited (I think) to see them and when they just walk by, she. Is. Loud! She doesn't want them to leave and will try to get to them and almost chokes herself on the leash! Today I just picked het up when she started doing that and put her down a couple meters away. The other thing is, when she is crying, and we see people we know they just pet her and even pick her up while she is jumping and crying..

Now people told me to ignore the whining and just keep on walking, she will get used to her surroundings. If you pet her you will make a big deal out of it and she just needs to learn that everything is normal and ok. Then other people told me to pick her up to calm her down, for 'you can't reward fearful behaviour.' Help! I dont know what to do anymore and I want to be consistent.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.