Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ten week old puppy that we have had home for almost 2 weeks now. She has adjusted well to her new home and owners. She is super sweet and loves to play!!! Potty training is coming along but still has a few accidents daily. But I feel like it is going okay and takes time. However, here is the problem. She came from a breeder who worked away from the home. So she left the puppies in a crate while she is gone. So the puppies would use the bathroom in the crate and step in it!!!! So now during the day when I have to leave her in the crate to take my kids to school most of the time I come back to a mess!!!! The strange part is she sleeps in the crate at night (in my bedroom) without any messes and sleeps all night without having to go outside!!! Does anyone have any tips they can give me so she will stop messing in her crate so I will not have to give so many baths!!!:mad:

·
Banned
1,222 Posts
It could be a negative association with the crate if it's only happening through the day. Maybe find a cheap childs playpen to try during the day?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I had this issue with my Boston. For much of her puppihood, I just left her loose. Eventually, I tried getting an X-Pen and putting her in there with a bed and some toys, so that at least she would have room to not be sitting in her mess but wasn't just spreading it around the house with free range and couldn't destroy anything when loose.

I have had a lot of success with this method (using an X pen), but house training was difficult. Instead of crating her when i needed a break, I would instead take a 5' lead and clip it to her harness and then clip the other end to myself and "tether" her to me. That way, she was always close enough I could take her out at the first sign she needed to go. When I leave, she goes in her X pen with a bed. In my current apartment I have cheap, easily cleaned fake wood vynl paneled floors, in places with floors you're worried about I suggest going to home Depot and getting a slab of linoleum flooring to put down under it.

At this point- a crate is useless for house training. She's likely not going in it at night because she's sleeping through the night and you're taking her out late enough and then early enough she she is never really, really needing to go. During the day, dogs don't tend to sleep right through the entire time you're gone. They wake up, readjust position, just lay there, and fall back asleep a few times. During one of these short wakeful periods, she is having to go to the bathroom badly enough and just going. She is unlikely to flip back to holding it in the crate, unfortunately, if she is consistently going in the crate. If she's only done it once, then it could have just been a fluke and doesn't necessarily mean anything.

·
Banned
283 Posts
I don't quite get the crate/cage business.
We do have one but it was mandatory for some travel we had in mind. In the event, it never got used.

Pretty much everywhere we go the dog goes with us. He lies on the back seat of the car quite content it would seem. In fact he is not in a hurry to get out. Waits for the "Let's go" before he drags his happy ass out!

If we have to leave him at home he is fine with that too. We used to get a neighbour to pop in and check on him but now we just tell him "Wait" and that's all he needs. He waits. And we can be gone for hours.

Maybe we just got lucky. Or he did. We got him as a rescue at about a year old. We've had him for a bit over a year. We probably have the best dog in the world.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Why would the breeder leave the puppies in a crate while she was at work? What about the mother? And feeding? Doesn't she know that the mother keeps the den clean at all times, thus aiding the natural inclination not to soil where you sleep? I feel bad for you, unfortunately I don't have any constructive advise to give you :( Just bitching over your breeder, sorry. And congrats on the new pup:)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't quite get the crate/cage business.
We do have one but it was mandatory for some travel we had in mind. In the event, it never got used.

Pretty much everywhere we go the dog goes with us. He lies on the back seat of the car quite content it would seem. In fact he is not in a hurry to get out. Waits for the "Let's go" before he drags his happy ass out!

If we have to leave him at home he is fine with that too. We used to get a neighbour to pop in and check on him but now we just tell him "Wait" and that's all he needs. He waits. And we can be gone for hours.

Maybe we just got lucky. Or he did. We got him as a rescue at about a year old. We've had him for a bit over a year. We probably have the best dog in the world.
Some dogs can't just be left alone without destroying things or peeing/pooing and stuff, or chewing on cables or eating socks or whatever. Most dogs need to learn not to do these things and the most effective way to do this when you can't have eyes on the dog all day is to use a crate/pen/or other space restricting device.

I used a pen with my pup from 8 weeks to 10 months old when I was at work, and now he has free reign of the house when I'm gone.

I used a crate when he was about 8 weeks - 3months old at night to keep him from having a potty accident. Now his crate is a safe space for him, it's where he goes and knows that no one will bother him. So if there are visitors over he doesn't want to interact with or something spooks him that's where he goes. Or if he has a tasty treat that he wants to save for later that's where he'll stash it. He does this because I have trained him that this is where he can go to not be bothered. Which is great because when travel necessitates the use of a crate (flying mostly) he is very calm and happy puppy in there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Have you (the OP) tried using "training pad (sheets)"? I started using them immediately with my Pug puppy when I brought him home from the breeder.

At first, he would still not use the pads (sheets). Gradually he would more and more. Learned it was the right thing to do. Now at a little over 4 months old he hardly uses the sheets (in the beginning 2-3 sheets a day + 4 trips outside0. Now it's 1 sheet in 2 weeks or so. No longer has to pee right after his meals. Holds it till I get him outside (I live on the 9th floor of a condo...so it takes us a few minutes to get outside).

I've never put him in a crate nor in an enclosed space but one time. When he was 9 weeks old. Found a way to move the gate enough to escape testing the gate for give. Gate never fell to the ground. Like Hoodinni (early 1920's or 30's escape artists magician).

My 2nd dog (Shih Tzu...nor my 1st a Pekingese) never had that kind of smarts (was still smart) to try testing the gate for movement to escape. Maybe it's because Pugs are naturally stronger even at only 9 wks old (or so). They call Pugs "Mini Mastiffs". Or so I've heard them described.

Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts