Dog Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Bella ate her dry dog food yesterday morning and she started acting like she was choking, she calmed down but she kept on coughing about every 15-20 minutes throughout yesterday and she is still doing it. She was fine until she ate her food yesterday, I took her to the vet, All the vet did was press on her throat (to check for kennel cough) which she does not have listened to her heart and lungs which both sound fine. They said sounds like she scratched her throat with a piece of food and her throat is irritated. She said she can still be spayed tomorrow at the local rescue. The vet at the rescue said she will do an exam before the surgery. Should I be worried about the fact that she is still coughing they did give me some antibiotics yesterday. The last time I had a dog to cough it was brain cancer causing it. I can't afford a second opinion right now. I'm worried about paying the money to have her spayed in the case that It could be something more serious but part of me wants to trust the vet since it didn't start until she ate yesterday. She is still eating and drinking normally also playing normally and still doing zoomies around the house, which after that she coughs bad for a second and then she is fine for a while.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Well Bella ate her dry dog food yesterday morning and she started acting like she was choking, she calmed down but she kept on coughing about every 15-20 minutes throughout yesterday

I would wait until you know for sure that the dog is healthy before you put her through that kind of procedure.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bella woke up yesterday she was fine, I fed her and she started acting like she was choking she did calm down but kept coughing about every 20 minutes so I took her to the vet, they checked for kennel cough listened to her heart and lungs and they sounded great. They thought she had scratched her throat with a piece of food and it's irritated so they gave me a prescription for azitromycin. They said she could still be spayed tomorrow. She is coughing still about once every 20 minutes she doesn't cough when she is asleep. She plays normal eats normal and is drinking normally she was doing zoomies around the house earlier and ended up coughing really bad but she stopped quickly should I be worried or should I trust the vet and go along with her spay appointment tomorrow

My main worry is that I will spend the money to spay her and it will be something serious that she ends up needing to be put down

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Bella woke up yesterday she was fine, I fed her and she started acting like she was choking she did calm down but kept coughing about every 20 minutes so I took her to the vet, they checked for kennel cough listened to her heart and lungs and they sounded great. They thought she had scratched her throat with a piece of food and it's irritated so they gave me a prescription for azitromycin. They said she could still be spayed tomorrow. She is coughing still about once every 20 minutes she doesn't cough when she is asleep. She plays normal eats normal and is drinking normally she was doing zoomies around the house earlier and ended up coughing really bad but she stopped quickly should I be worried or should I trust the vet and go along with her spay appointment tomorrow

My main worry is that I will spend the money to spay her and it will be something serious that she ends up needing to be put down

It could be an irritated trachea, Zody did something similar before I finally discovered a harness that had no chance of choking him no matter how he pulled. What was happening with him was that he'd pull and the harness could press on his trachea irritating it, then whenever he got excited, or playing hard, he'd being choking. You're girl may have swallowed wrong and the food did what the vet suggested and irritated the trachea.

If you are really worried talk to the vet about putting off the spay for a week and see if the cough clears up, gets worse, or stays the same.

Reactions: harleyboysmom

·
Registered
662 Posts
I would hold off if she is on antibiotics. Spaying is a major operation and is highly stressful on the dog, you really don't want to do it on an even mildly sick dog. JMHO.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the admin can delete this post if they want. I accidentally made to threads exactly alike thinking one didn't post

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
from what the vet said she said she gave the antibiotics just to help her throat and it would help with her healing after she gets spayed. She said it would be okay to spay her and The other vet is going to do an exam before doing the surgery and is going to see what she thinks. The regular vet is not doing the surgery a local rescue is.

·
Registered
662 Posts
from what the vet said she said she gave the antibiotics just to help her throat and it would help with her healing after she gets spayed. She said it would be okay to spay her and The other vet is going to do an exam before doing the surgery and is going to see what she thinks. The regular vet is not doing the surgery a local rescue is.
On what basis did she give the antibiotics? They are only useful to kill bacteria, if there is no bacterial infection then they are useless and you are potentially messing up your dog's microbiota (the balance of microbes to in the gut). A healthy microbiome is one of the key ingredients for good health and a strong immune system. You want your dog as vibrant as possible so they can handle the stress of the surgery optimally.

A spay is not an emergency procedure, there is no harm in waiting.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
she said 2 times a day for 15 days and that it will prevent any infection from developing. The reason I want to go ahead and get it done is because I don't want her to go into heat because of all the male dogs around and my aunt often brings her dog and he is not nuetered. I don't want to take any chances plus it takes forever to get an appointment schedualed at that vet I had to call 2 months in advance

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
How old is your dog? If she is still under six months, you are pretty safe in waiting a few weeks as most dogs do not come into season till later on. I would want her to be over the coughing before you spayed her.

·
Banned
422 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
she is 5 months old. I'ma go on and take her since the vet said it will be okay and let the vet there look over here before the surgery to make sure she also thinks it will be okay before leaving her there

1 - 11 of 11 Posts