Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 week old retriever. I leave my back door open all day long and he roams in and out as he pleases. I've noticed patterns of when he is about to pee and I will carry him outside and close the door to see if he pees. He will stand there looking at me and sometimes will start barking. As soon as I let him back in he will run to the kitchen and squat. If I catch him mid stream he stops, but again he waits until he is let back inside to finish it off pee.

Thankfully he always pees on the tiles which makes it easy to clean, but I would rather he just went outside.

What can I do to get him out of this? I've never had a dog before so I'm not quite sure. Guides say to bring the dog outside regularly, but my dog seems to think the kitchen is the toilet and has trained himself to go there all the time. No matter how much time he spends outside he purposely comes inside to pee and then goes back out to play.

Should I start giving out to him in an angry voice so he figures out its wrong? Since he doesn't pee outside I can't use treats to train him.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Crate train him. Once he is comfortable with the crate (this happened in less than a day for a dog I adopted that had previously lived in a back yard) he should be in his crate inside, outdoors, or inside with a leash with you looking at him. Close the back door. Once he is trained you can reopen it, but for now he cannot have unleashed access to the inside of the house.
For now, do not let him in the kitchen at all. When he pees outside, make a big deal and treat him.
Get some of that enzyme cleaner, too. Tile is easy to clean, but sometimes the grout between the tile, if it has not been sealed properly or recently, can absorb liquids and so hold odors. The less your dog smells pee in the house, the easier it will be for him to have an epiphany that outside is for peeing.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This seems to be a common problem, but it's fixable. You need to actively train him to go outside, not just leave the door open and hope for the best.

- constant supervision: if he's out of his crate or other confined space, your eyes are on him

- regular potty trips: at his age he may need to go out as often as every 15-20 minutes and you need to be with him

- reinforcement: at the very least he should be praised profusely for going outside, with his history, I'd recommend a few high value treats

- cleaning: be sure you're cleaning the soiled areas with an enzymatic cleaner to remove all odors

More detailed information here: House Training How Tos

You'll get there, but it will take time - lots of time - consistency, and supervision.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts