Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a puppy the beginning of January and I wanted your opinion on chews and toys for the Golden pup :).
Are bully sticks and antlers ok for a puppy? I am also thinking about getting Kong's and toys with no stuffing in them.
Would love some other suggestion!
Thanks!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Antlers depend on the dog, they are hard. But I think split antlers should be good for a puppy. I just went through this with my dane. I got her bully sticks, beef trachea, water buffalo horns, kongs, venison ears, Himalayan dog chews, raw beef bones(don't give to hard or intense chewers, they are very hard and can break teeth), raw pork bones. Actually any raw bones work. I can't think of anything else right now. Besides plenty of stuffed toys, rope toys. Pretty much anything and everything. Also food cubes and other food puzzles toys.

Reactions: Regina83

·
Registered
868 Posts
Congrats on getting a new pup!

For my pup to chew on I use dried tendons, bully sticks, Himalayan chews, raw turkey neck, whimzee chews, gummy bones and frozen kongs.

For her to play with I have a few skinneez she hasn't destroyed those yet, then also a plastic frisbee, and a few rope toys.

Reactions: Regina83

·
Registered
89 Posts
I find sometimes with a picky dog just to start out with a few things and get a feel for what they are interested in. My dog only likes toys with food. So bully sticks, pigs ears, raw bones. stuffed and frozen kongs.

She never got into the puppy nylabones, but now that she's older she rips through an adult nylabone in 1-2 minutes (so it's not worth it for me to buy it).
Our vet also recommended dental chews and some artificial bones with stuffing. I've tried the former and it lasts her maybe 5 minutes and haven't shelled out the $$ for the latter.
It's been a lot of hit or miss.
I've found my pup's favourite toys are: cardboard boxes/toilet paper rolls and plastic water bottles (with the plastic ring under the cap removed, and the cap removed when it is too badly chewed).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.