Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help. I have a newly remodeled home that my fiance and I have spent a lot of money on and my 5 month old beagle/chi mix finds the need to chew on the corners of my drywall. I don't know how to stop her and I am so frustrated. Can anyone give me any ideas?

Thank you
Sheri

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, this comes down to supervision and prevention. You need to supervise closely and offer lots of appropriate things to chew on instead. Redirect his attention to those items every time he goes to the corners. And you need to crate or somehow prevent his access to these things when you are not able to supervise him.

I've been told that if you can prevent it for one full month you will have broken the habit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, this comes down to supervision and prevention. You need to supervise closely and offer lots of appropriate things to chew on instead. Redirect his attention to those items every time he goes to the corners. And you need to crate or somehow prevent his access to these things when you are not able to supervise him.

I've been told that if you can prevent it for one full month you will have broken the habit.
It does not happen when I am watching her and that is usually because she is hanging all over me or sleeping right by me. It happens when my fiancé is alone with her. She has plenty of chew toys, I figured it was because he was not paying attention to her. I just wanted to get someone else's opinion. She has not done it for almost a week now. Thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
82 Posts
Also, repair the chewed areas as soon as possible - not only patch but paint over as well. My dog kept scratching the patched spots until I've managed to paint. I've had to close him out of that room until the compound dried enough...

·
Registered
888 Posts
If it is just the corners, you can put up the clear plastic end caps as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Well, I didn't say it was PERFECT! :) It just might say the drywall a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts