Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy who is 12 weeks old has been driving us crazy lately. He can be calm when he is on his own but when he is around our 3 year old dog he wants to play non-stop. The older dog is fine with this for the most part, but I'm not.

The puppy is very vocal when he plays and doesn't settle down so they are running through the house being very loud whenever they are around each other.

How do I teach the puppy to be calm around the older dog at least some of the time? I'm not expecting the puppy to never play with the older dog but if he could be calm at least sometimes that would be amazing.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The only time I'd expect a 12 week old pup to be calm is around another dog is when it's sleeping. Sounds normal to me. I'd let them play for a bit then crate or separate them. Maybe give them something to chew on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only time I'd expect a 12 week old pup to be calm is around another dog is when it's sleeping. Sounds normal to me. I'd let them play for a bit then crate or separate them. Maybe give them something to chew on.
I will try separating them after playing. Glad to know that it is normal even though its a little annoying :rolleyes:

·
Registered
917 Posts
It can be very annoying, try it with a Dane puppy. She was nearly 30lbs at ten weeks and the boys wanted nothing to do with her. She just turned a year old and I still need to separate them sometimes when she gets the zoomies.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh, well I was going to make a similar post, I'll just hop on this one and hope more replies come :)

My 1.5 year old rat terrier and 11 week old puppy play really hard, and sound like two Tasmanian devils. It's truly disturbing but they don't hurt each other. However I'm not sure if its ok to let them get to the point where it sounds so awful. When should you intervene and stop the play between a puppy and an adult dog? How should we do it without damaging the budding relationship of the dogs?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Omg, my puppy was exactly the same way and I thought it would never end! He's 8 months now, but between the age of 2 and 4 months, he was almost unbearable. I asked several questions when I took him to puppy "training"/socials at the Humane Society, and they all told me it was very normal. I have grown up with dogs all my life, but he is the first that I own so I wasn't sure how to handle him. He's definitely more on they hyper side, too, which I guess is just in his personality. The best advice I could give you is to keep a crate nearby and put him on breaks/rests when he gets really out of control. They would say to do the same at the socials. Get the puppy's attention to show him that play can be taken away and has to be earned back on good behavior. I can't say he completely stops the behavior, but putting him in a crate for a bit usually ends up in a somewhat calmer dog when he comes back out. Also taking him/her outside to fetch could help. My puppy is still pretty crazy at 8 months, always running around in circles, but part of that is because he's chasing my cats! I'm starting to take him to daycare as a way to help him relieve all of his excessive energy, and after a full day of that, he's dead to the world! Plus, adult dogs can help teach him and put him in his place :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts