Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I've just joined the forum today because I feel I need some support in order to get through the first months with my puppy.

So here it is: I've had my samoyed Ellie for about three weeks and she is thirteen weeks old. She is lovely in so many ways and the most beautiful sight I have ever seen. Yet I've been feeling extremely negative and depressed because of her in the past week because I've realised how much harder it is going to be than I initially planned. I am quite young and I move around often and I didn't fully understand how difficult air travel is with dogs (and expensive!) and that was something I was ready to put up with because I thought I would be so in love with her I wouldn't care about the difficulties (naive I know)
Now I'm sitting here with this 'why did I get a dog?!' feeling and its getting me down because she is so gorgeous and even though we still struggle with the house breaking she tries so hard to be a good dog and I feel awful for not feeling a strong connection yet.

Now my question is whether this is normal?
I wish I could just enjoy this beautiful girl but all I can think of is the cost and the loss of freedom

·
Registered
516 Posts
Puppy blues are definitely normal, in fact there is a sticky on the subject on the puppy help page!

I too was very naive when we got my dog. I had never had a dog before, and didn't know how much they needed to be trained, let out, etc. Things got easier as we all established a routine and the puppy became more trained, was housebroken, etc.

Things are much better now, 2 years later. Having a routine and sticking to it as much as possible is very helpful...your life is changing, their life is changing, so creating a routine and adhering to it will help both of you.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
We get 2 or 3 of these threads every week. It's totally normal. :huddle:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you so much for your replies
A few days have gone now and i feel more relaxed towards her. It's very reassuring I am not alone because it really isn't a nice feeling!
Am still worried about the costs surrounding having a dog, but then again i constantly worry about everything :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.