Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend, I had the amazing opportunity to adopt a 2 year old shih tzu/poodle mix. His name is Frisco and he was left at the shelter because his previous owner couldn't afford for the dog anymore since she lost her job. He is potty trained, intelligent, and already loves me.

I had been looking for a shih poo for more than a year now. The stars sort of aligned with this dog, since I had stopped actively looking. I just randomly pulled up the shelter page just to see what dogs were there and up popped this pooch.

I visited with him Saturday and Sunday before deciding to adopt him yesterday, Sunday.

I am a college student. I have an apartment with a roommate and a boyfriend who is almost always over. My parents were fairly insistent that I consider not getting a dog. However, I grew up with boxer dogs (I had 4 boxers in my lifetime before I left for college!) and I just missed having that company.

There's really nothing wrong with this dog. He's absolutely an angel. He sleeps so much, and loves to go on walks. He doesn't bark much and gets along with almost everyone he's met so far. Poor guy had to get fixed, though, and has a cone on his head right now.

Screen Shot 2015-09-21 at 11.58.35 AM.jpg

I'm starting to get this overwhelming fear that I made a terrible mistake. I'm scared that he would be better off in a different home, or that I'm not going to be a good owner. I'm scared that when his true personality shows, I'm going to resent the dog. Is this normal for a essentially first-time owner to have these fears? I know I have the proper experience to take care of a dog, but I worry that even still I will fail to give the dog what he needs. I'm already so attached to him, so the thought of bringing him back to the shelter just breaks my heart. But I worry that I've just made a horrible, irreversible mistake.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
All choices can cause regret because any choice made means not making other choices. Getting married means choosing not to be with other people. Having a baby means choosing to give up a lot of freedoms. It's totally normal to feel anxiety or sadness over this.

Give it a little time and see how you adjust. Once you get into the rhythm of things and find your new normal, I think you'll feel a lot better.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I think that is called doggy blues. I had that with Kuma and it passed. The training we did really help both of us. Plus he caught on really quick, but sloppy with some of his tricks. (probably more my fault then his.) I think it will pass. Changes can be hard and just like amaryllis said. Give it time and everything will fall into place. Oh and congrats on your new bundle of joy and thanks for adopting from the shelter/rescues.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: amaryllis

·
Registered
68 Posts
Take a deep breath. You're starting to feel overwhelmed and that's totally normal. People prepare for puppies and still get overwhelmed/puppy blues. Getting use to change is always a little scary. I think you'll be fine. Just give it time and stay positive. You've done a wonderful thing by adopting this dog from the shelter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Heya
I had this too in the beginning. Im a college student as well and of course its hard when you think of the commitment.
I promise it gets better though. At first i felt i couldn't take care of my pup and that i would be a bad owner but all thats changed now. I love her more than anything and now that I've had her for about three months she is a part of my life and thats that.
Anyway i know that what you're going through sucks. But know that you're not alone!
There are always helpful tips on the forum if you have specific questions later on :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Oh gosh, I know the puppy blues. And I think it's really the "new dog blues". They will pass.
You are capable. You are more than capable. The fact that you even consider that you may not be the best owner sort of shows me that you are a great owner (as in you recognize how much responsibility having a dog is). You will adjust to your new normal.
For me, the first few weeks with my new pup were terrifying. The first week was the hardest and I felt so anxious and overwhelmed. I had a few breakdowns fearing we'd made the wrong choice (wrong breed, wrong age, wrong timing). Now, 4 weeks in, we are good. We have our routines. Our bond is strong. The pup is now confident with us and in our home. Balance has returned.
So, in the most cheesiest of ways: this, too, shall pass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts