Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 5 months of waiting on a waiting list for our little cockapoo, we brought Jasper home last Tuesday. We couldn't have asked for a sweeter, smarter, or more sociable little guy. He is the hit of the neighborhood and we all love him.

I suffer from situational anxiety, where if I have a lot going on, I can feel overwhelmed, even if the stuff going on isn't a huge deal. I think for me, the feeling of needing to be on top of Jasper to make sure he doesn't have an accident (he hasn't yet) makes me feel like I can't just sit. He is currently living in a 4x4 pen in the living room and sleeping in a crate. We have spent a lot of time outside since we had nice weather this week. We crate him at night in our room and if we leave the house.

We have 3 cats, one of which is elderly, 16 and likely needs to be put down in the next few days :( I feel like thinking about that and making sure I am a good new puppy mom has sort of made it hard to enjoy this time. I haven't slept much, even if Jasper is sleeping, so that doesn't help.

Just looking for some words of wisdom of when I might come out of this fog. He's here to stay, I am not having regret, more like wish everything wasn't happening at once.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't have a lot of advice because I'm in the same boat but you're not alone! I also suffer from anxiety, and have had my puppy for a week. I have another dog and two children so it's easy to feel overwhelmed sometimes. For me, it's been similar to bringing home a baby. It changes the existing dynamic, routines are disrupted, etc, and that makes me anxious. I've wanted a dog for so long but that hasn't necessarily guaranteed love at first sight for me and my pup. I knew it would be hard work - especially in the beginning when, like you said, you have to be on top of them all the time and you're losing sleep - and sometimes I think about how much easier my life was a week ago.

But, it's the end of our first week together and I can tell that we're bonding and starting to settle into our "new" normal. He seems happy with us and we really enjoy having him as part of our family.

I'm so sorry about your cat. That must be very difficult. Jasper sounds like a great dog and I'm sure you're a wonderful puppy mom.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your kind words, it really means a lot to know someone understands how hard it can be.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm just starting to cope better with Echo, it gets better all the time. It's a big change but it becomes easier to cope with in time. Can you take an hour to get out of the house and do something you like that isn't pet related? I used to read at the cafe for an hour each day when it was really bad. My partner and I also left the house for 40 minutes at night to go for a walk and debrief the day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I left Jasper with the kids playing in the front yard (in an enclosed pen) for 45 minutes and went to the grocery store. Definitely felt good to be away and know he was having fun in the meantime. Never thought I would enjoy grocery shopping so much ;) I also work so have a 4 1/2 stretch away (a dog walker comes to let him out of his crate and play with him) so it's nice to be at work and be busy and not doing doggie-related things.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just like you with my Rottweiler pup 4 years ago. I couldn't bear that crate thingy so he sleeps besides me all the time or under my bed and just spread some old newspapers on the floor incase he pees or poops :)

Jasper is lucky to have you as his mom

·
Registered
339 Posts
I stay home with my kids right now so it can be a little smothering to have them all following me around all day, so I am definitely a fan of getting out of the house if even to grab a coffee by myself. :p We've also been playing crate games every day and he is finally very comfortable with it, and I can close the door on him for an hour or two during the day if I need to get things done without worrying about him. He usually chews his Kong and then falls asleep. It's getting easier now that 1) some of our training is starting to show, and 2) I realize I don't have to spend every second of every day with him (and shouldn't anyway).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts