Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a 4 month old lab / Shepard puppy who just will not stop biting. I'm sure part of it is teething and besides the occasional temper tantrum she never growls or anything at us or even bites down hard so I know she thinks she is playing but Ibjust can not get her to hero our hands or feet etc out of her mouth. We have been trying everything to teach her and it feels like our last resort is obedience classes. I'm sure some of this is normal rank puppy behavior so I didn't know when I should expect the puppy phase to be done finknow if that is what she needs or not. Any advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
It is probably playing/teething and is normal. Even so, don't allow it, it's a lot less cute when they're older.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Make sure she has plenty of toys and chews. Puppies need to learn not to bite(or be gentle) while playing. There are a couple ways to do this. One is redirecting. When the puppy nips grab a toy get her to engage in that. Another way is to either remove the puppy or yourself when she nips. Put her in a crate or another room. Or you walk into another room and shut the door for a few seconds. You need to do this every time she bites/gets too rough. It worked well with my dane. She caught on very quickly and stopped nipping with in a few days. I used the same methods to keep her from using her paws when we play. After getting punched in the face a couple times I had to do something. So when ever she started to put a paw up I'd say oops and drop the toy and look away. It didn't take her long to get it. Most puppies learn quickly, you just need to be consistent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts