Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our lab/coonhound mix puppy about three weeks ago, and we are doing really well with potty training and routines, but the biting is HORRIBLE! He was a rescue dog, and really young (only 6.5 weeks) when we picked him up, and he is 9.5 weeks now, so the biting might be his immaturity, but he is relentless with his biting and it is really starting to hurt me. We definitely need obedience classes, but he is still pretty young and needs a few more weeks before he can get into the program that we are interested in.

We don't have any children, so it's just me and my husband. I am a teacher and off work for the summer, so I am alone with the puppy all day, and he is tearing my skin apart! He bites my arms, legs, feet, hands, neck, chest, stomach, butt, and face. This morning, he actually just barely missed my eye. My skin is torn up with cuts to the point where several of my friends have said that I look like I'm cutting myself. It is so painful to do simple things like dry my hands after washing them. He also pulls my hair now too.

I can tell that he wants to play, and not that he is being aggressive. He loves to pounce on me and bite me or just chew my hands. If I am standing, he will even jump to bite me as high as he can (and he gets pretty high). When I am walking, he will also latch on to my pant legs or shoes. Even if we are not playing, he still bites. For example, I was still sleeping, and my husband put him on the bed while he was getting ready for work, and the puppy just jumped on top of me, started pulling my hair and then bit my face. I was totally asleep and was not showing him at all that I wanted to play.

After researching online, I have tried many methods and none of them work. I have tried yelping and ignoring him. But as I try to walk away from him, he just jumps up and bites me again so that I can't get away. He does not respond to the yelping or yelling OW at all. I have tried yelling "NO" in a scolding, threatening voice, and he doesn't respond to that either. I have tried pinning him down while yelling at him to show my dominance, and that will get him to stop biting but as soon as I let go, he's back at it.

A friend suggested to me to fill a pop can with change and shake it at him because dogs don't like that sound. He actually LOVES the can and tries to play with it so that's out.

I have tried holding his mouth shut while scolding, and that gets him to settle down, but as soon as I let go of his mouth, he is back and biting again.

I have tried offering him different toys to distract him, but he actually will bat those toys away, and continue biting as if to say he prefers to chew on me and not the toys. The peanut butter filled kong has given me the best luck, but it only distracts him for a few minutes then he is back and biting.

He will stop biting if I pick him up and carry him, but he is starting to get heavy so I can't carry him all day.

The vet has told me to not use his crate as a punishment, so I have not done that.

Right now, the only safe way that I can play with him is if I sit on the couch with my legs and feet tucked up so he can't reach any part of me and I can play fetch or tug of war with him from the couch while he is on the ground. But even then he still goes for my hands. If it get onto the ground with him, or even if I get up off of the couch to use the bathroom or grab something, he is biting me the whole way. I am still continuing to scold him but after 3 weeks, this is not getting any better. He is actually getting faster and stronger.

Any ideas of what other methods I can try to get his behavior in line prior to starting obedience classes?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
You got him quite young, puppies should be going home at a minimum of 8 weeks, so he has missed out on almost 2 weeks of learning with his mom and siblings. Although he is a mix, labs are known to be pretty mouthy as puppies. Basicaly you need to teach him bite inhibition, which he might have missed out on learning since he left so early. I will say please don't use adverse methods any more, like pinning him, shaking a can at him, holding his mouth closed ect. As you can see they don't really work and some of them can be seen as inciting play.
Sometimes saying ow or yelping works, other times as it seems in this case it can end up rilling them up more.
Have you only tried ignoring him after yelping/saying ow? Try ignoring him again but turn away cross your arms and don't look at him until he settles down. Once he has try interacting, if he bites again ignore again and wash rinse repeat as needed. With the extra land sharky puppies :p, you may need to do this quite a lot and consistently before they actually get it.
Try giving him a really good long lasting and or tasty toy when rederecting him. He may be more willing to go use those. Make sure you also have plenty of puppy chew toys for him to use.
Heres the sticky for mouthing/biting that may be helpful to read through http://www.dogforum.com/training-behavior-stickies/biting-mouthing-nipping-168082/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I understand that he is young and that is part of the problem. He was ripped away from his mom right after being born and given to a rescue. We were told he was 8 weeks at first, but the day we picked him up, the rescue group told us that he was actually younger than 8 weeks.

Yes, I try ignoring him after yelling OW. But if I turn my back, he will still bite me. If I get up and walk away, he will still bite me. The ignoring isn't doing anything because he is super fast and will catch up to me and bite me. Basically, he will bite me no matter what, whether I am actually playing with him or not. He does not care that I am ignoring him. He has a ton of toys, and sometimes he will go for them, but about half the time he will smack them away and continue biting. I go to the store every weekend to find more and more different toys that might keep his attention, but it just seems like he isn't interested in any of them.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Echo was just like this, so infuriating!

The best thing we did was invest in a couple of exercise pens, we blocked off a rom and left for 30 seconds any time she started biting, if she did it again we left for longer. This was the only thing that worked, anything but removal of us encouraged her.

It was tough, we didn't get to sit down on the floor or show much affection for about a month and a half. Your pup will grow out of it so long as you be patient and avoid fear tactics. Here's a blog that might help. Kikopup on YouTube is also a great resource. I'd be very wary of any forceful training tools; shouting, pinning, growling.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts