Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 13 week old lab/pit I've had labs in the past, our last one was a big biter took her a while to grow out of it. Now this adorable sweet boy I have has a monster mouth! He bites hard and bites a lot and does try to go for the face. I tell him no, I'll fold my arms or turn when he tries, but he's extremely persistent Also this behavior is one of his ways of showing me he needs to go out. Otherwise he won't whine or go to the door. He knows what out and potty means picked it up really quick. So I'm thinking that because when he acts like that and tries to go at me and I'll let him out it may be contributing to attention seeking behavior as well. (usually if ignore him when he does this he'll potty in the house.) I'm going to work on the bell method to see if it will help. I can't seem to get my nos to sound firm enough. Now when my dad watches him when I'm at work he ran into the biting problem, all he did was hold the pups muzzle said no and he won't bite at him at all. He also listens when my dad tells him no, maybe my dad is more affirming? However any other command the pup won't listen to him, sit and come (working on stay) he only does for me. When I tell him no if he goes and tries to rough house with one of the cats he'll listen, if he starts to tinkle in the house I'll tel him no outside he stops instantly and goes outside. (but no to anything else, biting, pant pulling ect he won't listen to me)

So I feel like he thinks his biting behavior with me and anyone else except my dad is ok to him. Any suggestions? I know persistence which I will do and have been.

I also may be adding another puppy addition, he absolutely loves other animals, cats, dogs and our cats are dog friendly they just don't play with him and my parents min pin-mix only tolerates about 5-10 mins of play. My cousins dog comes over occasionally and my pup adores him but he's older and only tolerates so much. I'm working on getting him used to his harness so I can workout his energy on walks.

Now my concern with possibly bringing home another addition is that what do I need to do or be aware of...like Parvo? This new addition is around 8-9 weeks, my guy is on his second set of shots and will be getting his next one this month. thanks in advanced for any advice.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Dogs don't know what 'no' mean. They may get that 'no' means stop doing A and B but they don't understand it means stop doing C and D also. Try either leaving the room or putting him in other room for a short time out if he keeps acting up. It only needs to be for a few seconds to a minute. But he's also a 13 week old pup, it's going to take time. Make sure you have lots of different types of toys and things for him to chew. I can't help with the acting up as a way to tell you he needs to go out. Good luck with that, I hope someone has some advise.
I would be hesitant to add another puppy to the mix. You could end up with bigger problems. I like to at least have one dog trained and housebroken before adding another. Also look into littermate syndrome before adding another dog.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 13 week old lab/pit I've had labs in the past, our last one was a big biter took her a while to grow out of it. Now this adorable sweet boy I have has a monster mouth! He bites hard and bites a lot and does try to go for the face. I tell him no, I'll fold my arms or turn when he tries, but he's extremely persistent Also this behavior is one of his ways of showing me he needs to go out. Otherwise he won't whine or go to the door. He knows what out and potty means picked it up really quick. So I'm thinking that because when he acts like that and tries to go at me and I'll let him out it may be contributing to attention seeking behavior as well. (usually if ignore him when he does this he'll potty in the house.) I'm going to work on the bell method to see if it will help. I can't seem to get my nos to sound firm enough. Now when my dad watches him when I'm at work he ran into the biting problem, all he did was hold the pups muzzle said no and he won't bite at him at all. He also listens when my dad tells him no, maybe my dad is more affirming? However any other command the pup won't listen to him, sit and come (working on stay) he only does for me. When I tell him no if he goes and tries to rough house with one of the cats he'll listen, if he starts to tinkle in the house I'll tel him no outside he stops instantly and goes outside. (but no to anything else, biting, pant pulling ect he won't listen to me)

So I feel like he thinks his biting behavior with me and anyone else except my dad is ok to him. Any suggestions? I know persistence which I will do and have been.

I also may be adding another puppy addition, he absolutely loves other animals, cats, dogs and our cats are dog friendly they just don't play with him and my parents min pin-mix only tolerates about 5-10 mins of play. My cousins dog comes over occasionally and my pup adores him but he's older and only tolerates so much. I'm working on getting him used to his harness so I can workout his energy on walks.

Now my concern with possibly bringing home another addition is that what do I need to do or be aware of...like Parvo? This new addition is around 8-9 weeks, my guy is on his second set of shots and will be getting his next one this month. thanks in advanced for any advice.
I don't know, I'm having the same issue and mine is a nine month old lab. She's gotten a lot better since being eight weeks old. Still mouthy when overexcited and it's very frustrating. Just keep on top of your pup, I feel like some personalities just grow out of it on their own time as long as we keep teaching them it's wrong. One day it will stick. We've been thinking of adding another dog too, but older who's already out of that stage.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts