Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our goldendoodle puppy is about 9 weeks old. Naturally she uses her mouth and teeth for everything, but recently is seems that she has been biting and chewing more frequently, but not on her toys. Frequently when either my husband or myself walk by her, she will bite our pant legs and not let go, no matter what we do. We've tried saying firmly, "no!" and redirecting her to a toy but her interest in the toy doesn't last more than a few seconds before she's coming back for more of our clothes. We've tried turning our backs and ignoring her, but she just continues to jump on our legs and bite our clothes and hands. This morning she jumped up and latched onto my sweater, ripping a hole in it. I definitely lost my cool, yelled and swatted her snout which I feel badly about. I think she must have thought the swat was me playing with her so it just ramped her up more so I put her in her crate for a few minutes, mostly so I could cool off. Any suggestions please!! I know it's a normal puppy phase thing, but boy is it frustrating :eek:

·
Registered
140 Posts
It is definitely a puppy phase. My 5 month old is now well past it but engaged in this behavior from about 8 weeks until 12 weeks. Patience and consistency is the key. Please do not swat her! Yelp and redirect or yelp and ignore. It will pass!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, we don't usually swat but my frustration got the best of me. I need to learn to just leave the room when I feel my frustration rising. I always think the more I say no, or try to make her stop will help, but it usually just makes her think I'm playing with her causing her to bite more

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Teething puppies can be exasperating. Fortunately she will grow out of it, but of course you have to survive her phase until she does.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hang in there. It's temporary. Just keep reinforcing the toy. We had to do the same with my Tank. The puppy biting and mouthing was terrible from the time we got him until about 6 months old. That's when their teeth fully come in and the biting becomes more infrequent. At this age, they're gonna bite. There's nothing you can do about it. The best you can do is redirect the biting and reinforce what they CAN bite. It takes patience and perseverance, but they eventually get it. If she gets too amped up, don't be afraid to put her away in her crate for a nap. Don't yell or indicate that its a correction. Just say in a cheerful voice, "Okay it's night night time!" and put her away. When playing, treat her for every successful redirection. She will eventually get that biting mommy is a no no, but playing with her toy gets her the good stuff! Eventually her little puppy lightbulb will click on and she'll be like... "Sweet! Toys mean yummy treats!" Kongs are great for this, because it help keep the dog's attention on the toy and offers a puzzle to solve and reward at the end! Pretty soon she will be so busy trying to solve the puzzle of how to get the treat out, she won't even think about biting you or your shoes!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yup... Finnegan was an absolute nightmare for this exact thing.

A lot of people suggest "yelping", but personally I think that excites them more. It definitely did for Finnegan. What worked for us was actually very calmly withdrawing--standing up, walking away, standing behind a gate until he calmed down. Additionally, play ended completely at that point. I would come back and pet him for being calm, but nothing exciting. He finally learned to play and interact without biting, though on occasion (pretty rarely) he still will play bite or grab clothes. I maintain zero tolerance. If his teeth touch any part of me or my clothes, I get up and walk away. I'm easily frustrated as well so this keeps us both calm.

Brace yourself. It will take a very long time. Meanwhile, wear old clothes you don't mind getting holes in. It's not going to feel like you're making progress for a while, but it will get better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Puppy phase number nightmarish! Keep your cool, and try and train I'm okay with that and target with snout. It helped Albus and me past that phase, and at week 13 it dimished significantly, and now at week 17 it is as good as gone (whole set of new wonderful puppy behaviors to work on... yay!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts