Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had 2 other GSD that we raised from puppies so we're used to chewing. Our new GSD puppy goes after our ankles with a vengeance. We've tried redirecting with chew toys and treats. Although that works if we happen to "always" have treats and toys in our hands, it's not realistic to always have these items within easy reach. He'll bite our ankle and if I squeal and move away, or if I move him away with my hand and say no, he'll back up a bit and start barking and growling as if I'm playing with him then come in for another chomp. Maybe it's just something he needs to outgrow? Everything else is going extremely well. It's just the ankle biting that's making us crazy. Any suggestions or should we just continue being persistent? <sigh>

·
Registered
347 Posts
He'll grow out of it eventually, redirecting is good and you should keep doing that. It takes a bit more time to pay off because puppies are generally more play driven so learning that this isn't the way you want to play can be tough for them. consistency is key. If he's reacting to you making a noise by being more playful then I would stop with that, it'll just egg him on. I would suggest this approach.

1st time he starts biting redirect to toy.
2nd time he bites redirect again.
3rd time either remove yourself or the dog from the situation for 30secs - 1 min and then start again.

I wouldn't give him treats when he's biting, only because he might start to make an association that biting your ankles leads to treats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the advice! He's already starting to back off (somewhat). It just seemed so excessive. Our patience is paying off already. It's really helpful to know we were 'sort of' on the right track. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts