Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel stupid coming back here all the time, but I always get good advice and a lot of comfort by asking questions. Our Aussie is about 11 weeks old now, and she sleeps soundly through the night and can even hold her bladder through the night. Everything seems to be good but her biting!! We have tried yelping when she bites, switching out toys, leaving her alone in time out, but she STILL bites! I know that puppy biting is normal but sometimes she becomes very agitated and scary and snarls! She prefers my arm over a toy honestly. I just don't know how to get her to stop, at least just a little. I want to cuddle her so much and give her lots of love but whenever I do she pulls my hair and bites my nose and my neck!!

For Leash training, what age should a puppy/dog be walking comfortably? Not perfect obviously, but comfortably. She just stops and sniffs just about everything and it can be a little hard when I just want to walk down the street. I get she's a baby and everything is so new and exciting, but do you have any tips for her to WALK and not just stop at every leaf? I may be expecting too much, but I guess I'm too excited for her to get out into the world and meet people!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Honestly, the biting won't stop until she's done teething around 6 months. Until then, keep doing what you're doing. If she gets to the point where she's growling and going nuts, she is probably overtired and needs to be crated or put in an xpen with something to chew so she can settle down. Just like toddlers, puppies get cranky when they are tired but don't want to sleep.

Do you take treats on walks? I would take some really high value treats and reward her every couple of steps for walking with you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You need to be more patient with your puppy. At 11 weeks you have a long way to go before the biting stops. But eventually it will, so take heart because there is light at the end of the tunnel. :D Just continue with your routine. In the meantime, here is a great material about puppy biting: How to Stop Puppy Biting

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
For Leash training, what age should a puppy/dog be walking comfortably? Not perfect obviously, but comfortably. She just stops and sniffs just about everything and it can be a little hard when I just want to walk down the street. I get she's a baby and everything is so new and exciting, but do you have any tips for her to WALK and not just stop at every leaf? I may be expecting too much, but I guess I'm too excited for her to get out into the world and meet people!!
Remember you are out there for your dog not you. Take the time to let her smell the roses. This is how they learn new things by smelling them and as you know putting them in their mouths. Those little teeth are so sharp. When she bites you need to move away from her so she knows that the fun stops if she bites. Even though you don't think it works I would yelp and then leave.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts