Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this the kind of thing that will go away with age, typically? My 5 month old puppy always wants to bite on my hands when I pet him to show affection. Sometimes he will just lick, but often the licking turns into teething. It's always in a playful nature with tail wagging, and it's almost always a soft teething, but every now and then he will bite a little harder. I've tried to stop this, but he doesn't seem to be responding to any of my attempts. Hopefully it will go away as he grows up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing my hand with toys, and pulling away my hands and ignoring him until he calms and doesn't try to bite at me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried the yelping thing, and it doesn't seem to effect him at all. I'll look into getting a clicker and try some training with treats for good behavior with touch and petting as in the video and see how that does.

·
Registered
501 Posts
For Pax it was all about redirection when he went for me...make sure you have a lot of toys with different textures. I had the best success when I found a plush toy that kinda felt like my hand...he still loves that toy!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Redirection is good, but, initially......the mother dog corrects. A sharp No or AH,AH should do the job if repeated correctly.....Remove your hand at the point of verbal correction.....Do not not miss the timing......

·
Registered
516 Posts
I found that sharply inhaling or gasping, as opposed to yelping, was more helpful in getting my puppy to stop biting me. In fact, we still use it and he's an adult! The yelping would rile him up but the gasping made him stop and take notice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found that sharply inhaling or gasping, as opposed to yelping, was more helpful in getting my puppy to stop biting me. In fact, we still use it and he's an adult! The yelping would rile him up but the gasping made him stop and take notice.
I'll try that. Verbal yelping or "no" or "ah!" seems to only make him want to attack me more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts