Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, do you have some advice on how to handle my 4mo old puppy barking at my son when he runs. He has went as far as cornering my son and barking at him. My son is almost 7, but doesn't understand how to handle the situation and either runs more thinking its a game or gets scared. I have told him to tell him no bark and stand his ground but he really is struggling with that approach. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
First of all, tell your son to stop running around the dog. Children should be taught to not run around dogs because if they do, the dogs will chase, bark, and often tackle and sometimes nip them (sometimes playfully, sometimes not so playfully). So this is an important safety issue that your son should learn around all dogs.

Second of all, your puppy is very young so can be trained to not react badly. I would highly recommend a puppy class, especially since it sounds like your puppy might be nervous and need some extra socialization with other people and dogs. Try to get your puppy to focus on you with a command ("look" "focus"), by saying the word, and giving a treat to the pup when he looks. Do this over and over again until he does it all the time. You can practice some things like this by having the puppy first focus on you when nothing goes on, then once he gets that right all the time, have your son (or someone else if the boy is nervous) walk by him at a normal pace and have the pup focus on you. Once the dog is able to look at you every time someone goes by, have the person move at a quicker pace. This should be practiced long enough so other things can go on around your pup and he cares more about paying attention to you than the moving object. If you've not had experience training dogs it would be best to ask a trainer (hopefully in a training class!) for some guidance on tis exercise.

Good luck!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I think expecting a kid to never run around a dog is expecting too much! Kids run, and if they live with a dog, the dog needs to be ok with it. As long as you know and have trained the dog, it's fine. My little siblings have always ran around my dogs and it's never been an issue. It just got my dogs really used to it.

I would practice with the dog on a leash, and redirect him when he barks. If you can, having your son be able to run with the pup next to him on a leash would be an ideal way to get the pup used to it. But obviously start with small steps at first. If your son gets scared, make sure you are always holding onto the leash so that he feels safe during these exercises.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
You may find something helpful in the resources here: Safety with Children, Babies, and Dogs!

Manage the situation (dog and child separated, no running around around the dog, etc) until you have some solid training. Your pup is still very young, so that may take a few months.

I agree that taking a basic manners class, if you haven't already, would be beneficial. You'll learn how to work with your pup with the assistance of a knowledgeable, in-person trainer. This sticky has good information for finding a positive reinforcement-based trainer: Finding a Trainer, Behavior Consultant, or Behaviorist

·
Registered
66 Posts
You may find something helpful in the resources here: Safety with Children, Babies, and Dogs!

Manage the situation (dog and child separated, no running around around the dog, etc) until you have some solid training. Your pup is still very young, so that may take a few months.

I agree that taking a basic manners class, if you haven't already, would be beneficial. You'll learn how to work with your pup with the assistance of a knowledgeable, in-person trainer. This sticky has good information for finding a positive reinforcement-based trainer: Finding a Trainer, Behavior Consultant, or Behaviorist
wow really useful and exhaustive tips, thank you so much:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts