Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4 month old puppy who's been crate trained since I got her at 7 weeks. She has slept through the night in there since I got her and never barks or whines to come out except one soft bark in the morning sometimes if I sleep in. I started leaving her at home while I work and come home at lunch. I leave her with something to chew on and she doesn't bark or whine when I leave and she seems fine when I come back, like she's just been sleeping all day. My neighbors haven't said anything so I'm pretty sure she's not sitting there barking all day. I also did a practice run with her at my grandparent's house over a long weekend. I put her in her crate upstairs where no one else was and spent the day downstairs or out and about. My dad was there all day and told me she didn't bark except a couple times randomly, but nothing annoying or bad. But there have been a couple of times when I step out of the house really fast like to take the garbage out or get something out of my car and if she sees me walk out the door, she barks and whines. I make sure only to open the door when she's quiet. I've left her while she's napping (in the living room, not in her crate) and I can hear that she wakes up and knows I've left, but she doesn't bark. I come back and she's waiting by the door so I know she knows I left. My question is why does she bark when she sees me leave? Both cases she knows that I have left, but only barks when she can actually see me walk out the door. I don't know how long she'd bark because I usually come right back, but it would be nice to be able to go outside real quick, not have to wait for her to be napping and not have to worry about her barking. Should this be something I actively work on with her or should it eventually disappear as she gets older?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Those are some great questions.

The puppy mind can be both complex and simple at the same time. The simple part being you are her pack and when she is separated she may either feel uncertain or uncomfortable or else be chill because she trusts you to come back. The complex part being when, why, and where she feels these things. Dogs that see people leave or far more likely to try to follow them, bark to get them to come back, or become concerned, possibly because they don't know if the trip will be long or short (not part of the schedule perhaps). I know that we sometimes toss a treat down the hall before walking out the door so the dogs can't see us leave.
You can work on it, since it could make her feel better. Possibly moving the crate so she can't see the door, taking her on a walk with you if you are doing the trash or something such as that, ect. Just make sure you don't come running or let her out when she barks or she will do it more. However, ignoring a frightened puppy is not fun either.

It's a careful balance, but I hope this helps. You sound like a wonderful puppy-owner, she is lucky to have you. Best of luck with her training!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts