Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 10 month old Australian Shepherd. Lately she's gotten weird anytime she walks anywhere in the neighborhood. If she sees another person, she hones in on them and won't stop staring. Sometimes she'll growl at them. If the other person has a dog, the scruff on her back stands up, and she growls and barks loudly. While she is very intensely watching them, I can still get her to sit or lay down, but she'll continue growling. I've tried crossing the street to see if she reacts less, and she doesn't seem as intense with people, but if they have a dog, she remains the same.

My other Aussie is 7 years old, and has no reaction to people or dogs at all. I'd say more than half the time he doesn't even acknowledge someone is walking by, so I'm not sure why she started this behavior. It's odd though because she goes to parks and on trails 5-7 days a week, and does not react to people or dogs there at all. It's just in the neighborhood that she exhibits this behavior. When I say neighborhood I don't mean just around my house and a few surrounding houses. She acts like this for the entire 15-20 minute walk, and on any of the streets or cul de sacs we turn down.

Just looking for any tips or ideas on how to curb this behavior.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got her at 4 months old, and she's always been shy with strangers at parks or stores, but she doesn't bark or growl at them- just doesn't want to be pet. If she's not on a leash, she'll walk away from them, and if on a leash, she backs away, but still has never growled or barked in these situations.

She's been going to pretty heavily populated parks since I got her, and at first she was kinda nervous about people walking on trails by us, but she got used to them quickly, and no longer keeps an eye on them like she used to. She's perfectly fine with any family or friends who come over, and plays with their dogs if they bring them over, or she goes to their house. I take her to a dog park sometimes, and she's never had any issues with other dogs. I've also taken her to a couple dog festivals recently that the city puts on, and she's comfortable walking around in the big groups with all the people and dogs (no one tried petting her)

I think she gets plenty of exposure to humans/dogs. Ideally, I would like her to not be so uncomfortable with strangers trying to pet her when we're out, but I've been hoping she'd gain the confidence over time to not be nervous. She started herding lessons recently, which has helped her be more comfortable with strangers. She's taken treats from a lady who also herds there, and let another lady pat her on the head.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts