Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm on a trip with my dog right now and he just got into a scuffle with another unleashed dog next door when the neighbour's dog dashed out straight to us. I wish I had something of high value in my hand or pocket to distract or defend my dog but I didn't have anything prepared because I was only planning to take my dog to the toilet on a patch of grass outside of the house for 2 minutes. He was not injured physically and the interaction occurred for 10 seconds. I tried to keep the leash loose without tension but I didn't know what to do as it was my first time and so sudden.

Background info: my puppy was super excited to see other dogs on walks so I tried to desensitize him by playing fetch whenever he saw another dog. By giving one command before we started playing, it was enough to get his attention back to me. He did fantastic yesterday when we stayed at a cottage where the owner had two old unleashed dogs. They weren't interested in playing with my puppy and my puppy was happy to ignore them as I played with him right next to the other dogs. I thought all was going well until tonight. After the attack, my puppy appeared to be a little wary of other dogs. I took him out to potty again after an hour and when he saw two dogs across the street, he tensed up and started barking at them. I got the ball out and gave him the command to play fetch and his attention went straight back at me. However, his attention was still somewhat fixated on the passing dogs while we were playing fetch unlike his usual self. It did get much better after the two dogs passed.

Should I continue doing what I'm doing to desensitize him to other dogs or will this turn into something more serious?

P.s so annoyed at owners of unleashed and ill mannered dogs who don't run back to their owners on command.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.