Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - my puppy is 3 1/2 months old. We have had him for 2 weeks. During these 2 weeks I have been his primary caregiver as I have been working from home, and my boyfriend is gone during the day. When I am home he is mostly out with me, but when we are gone he is in a crate. I have also started to crate him for a couple of hours during the day to get him used to being alone more. He does absolutely fine in the crate. While home I work with him on training and we are working on house breaking. When my boyfriend is home he always interacts with the pups and helps out. The problem is that the pup generally only wants me. He behaves better when I'm around. He is still learning how to go on walks (we live right outside NYC so it is busy) but he is much better with me. If I leave a room he gets uptight until I return (today this caused him to pee on the couch, which has never happened). The reality is that I am just home more due to my job. However, when we are both home there are times I need to leave the pup with my boyfriend so I can get other things done. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice to how we can get the puppy to listen to my boyfriend as well as me?

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I think in general, dogs listen to the person who does the most training with them. My older dog listens to me probably 95% of the time, and the puppy listens 60% of the time. With my husband, the older dog listens 85% and the puppy listens 30%.

Your boyfriend should start doing training, walking, feeding, and playing with the pup.

Ultimately, don't be surprised if your dog always prefers you to your boyfriend, some dogs get a favourite person and that is it. :p

1 - 2 of 2 Posts