Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my crazy 5 month old puppy just ate his entire pee pad when we were at work. I about went nuts! Will this jam up his entire intestinal tract? I'm not sure if we should go to the vet as of now because he looks normal. Anyone experienced this? He's tried to pull the pad out of the holder before but we've reprimanded him. he hasn't tried pulling it out until today. Not sure what to do with him now. :confused:
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,820 Posts
Hi all, my crazy 5 month old puppy just ate his entire pee pad when we were at work. I about went nuts! Will this jam up his entire intestinal tract? I'm not sure if we should go to the vet as of now because he looks normal. Anyone experienced this? He's tried to pull the pad out of the holder before but we've reprimanded him. he hasn't tried pulling it out until today. Not sure what to do with him now. :confused:

If nothing else call the emergency vet and tell them what happened. They'll be able to let you know if you can wait till morning to bring him in, or if you should go in tonight.

Yes it can jam up his intestines if he swallowed large enough pieces. If that happens the signs won't appear till later, and once they do appear it'll be very serious and you'll need to get him in ASAP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
go to the vet.
I'd also try to find another solution for the potty times hile you're not at home (is there a neighbour/friend/familymember who can let them out ).
Now that he did this once, the dog will likely try to do that again, and eating so much plastic can kill a puppy.
with other dangerous things that the dog could eat I'd to it the same way. remove them from the dogs reaching area.
while you are away you can't train him, so you have to make sure in another way that he doesn't exhibit behaviour that that is unwanted or even dangerous while you are away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If nothing else call the emergency vet and tell them what happened. They'll be able to let you know if you can wait till morning to bring him in, or if you should go in tonight.

Yes it can jam up his intestines if he swallowed large enough pieces. If that happens the signs won't appear till later, and once they do appear it'll be very serious and you'll need to get him in ASAP.
Thanks Rain. We're thinking of getting to the vet tomorrow since they're about to be closed soon and the last call is 5 minutes ago. We don't have emergency vets here, which is scary.

I think we have to give him lots more chew toys to distract him during the day. Sigh.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
go to the vet.
I'd also try to find another solution for the potty times hile you're not at home (is there a neighbour/friend/familymember who can let them out ).
Now that he did this once, the dog will likely try to do that again, and eating so much plastic can kill a puppy.
with other dangerous things that the dog could eat I'd to it the same way. remove them from the dogs reaching area.
while you are away you can't train him, so you have to make sure in another way that he doesn't exhibit behaviour that that is unwanted or even dangerous while you are away.
Yeah, we are taking him to the vet tomorrow. We will have to make sure the paper is folded really small within the pan so he can't bite it out. And maybe give him tons more chew toys with treats within them just so he won't get into the pee pad. I'm just really worried now. I hope he'll survive the night!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,652 Posts
Yeah, we are taking him to the vet tomorrow. We will have to make sure the paper is folded really small within the pan so he can't bite it out. And maybe give him tons more chew toys with treats within them just so he won't get into the pee pad. I'm just really worried now. I hope he'll survive the night!
I'd not give him anything like toys or peepads at the moment, now that you know he is prone to ingesting uneadible things. Not when he's unsupervised.
when you've got to work, try to find someone to go for a walk after 3-4 hours.
when he ate it once he'll try it again. and peepads can be a pain when you're housetraining your dog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
Do not continue to use pee pads with him, certainly not for now. He MAY not try to eat another one if you give him more toys, or he may eat it again and cause an even bigger issue for himself next time. You need to look into other solutions.

How old is your dog now? If I recall correctly it was a month or so ago that you were posting about him and he was like 12 weeks or something again. He can probably hold it just fine during a normal work day. I'd move to crate training him and having him potty outside, and perhaps have someone come let him out during the day if possible. Much cheaper than having to pay for emergency surgery removal of a pee pad. I would be very selective about the toys that you leave with this dog and I'd be hesitant to leave any bedding with him given this history. Chewing stuff up or shredding things is one thing, but actually eating them can be very dangerous.

In the meantime, I would definitely bring him to the vet ASAP to decide the best course of action.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top