Dog Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our mini schnauzer, Fritz, when he was 8 weeks old (currently he is 14 weeks old), and we are first time dog owners. Despite having parvo, he learned the basics of potty training quickly. We crate trained and took him outside, but decided as a small dog to just keep him indoors, and switched to pee pads. It went well.

We decided to make our own puppy apartment and yet again Fritz did great! Doing a lot of research , we figured out "level 2", and put the crate in a playpen and left all the doors open. So now he had more space, more freedom. That was going good too...until this past week. When I would have to wash his bed, even though we gave him a towel to lay on, he would drag it out of his den area and then sleep...IN THE POTTY AREA ON HIS PEE:mad:

When I saw that he had done this tonight in addition to peeing outside the crate on the floor I got angry and woke him up. I washed his paws and then cleaned everything. When we put him back he simply peed immediately. So I had to clean the area again. When we put him back again, he ran into his den, avoided the potty area and peed outside on the floor, as my daughter was telling him no..he PEED AGAIN:eek:, as she continued scolding him he walked a bit and then peed again, turned and stepped in it and trailed it.

So I had to bathe him again and clean the floor again. We put him back in the crate and now we are back to "level 1" he is locked in. Upon going in he went and peed in the proper area then went to sleep in his den area:rolleyes:

Why is this happening now?? Why in the heck would he choose to lay in his own filth, when he has a clean area to lay in:confused:? And why in the world would he pee multiple times on the floor, in front of us??? My husband said it seems like Fritz is being defiant. It is so sad because I was thinking about moving to "level 3" which I think is letting them roam the house with you there.

Also, do I have the levels right for the puppy apartment?

tia

·
Registered
17 Posts
The peeing multiple times thing concerns me, that could be a signal of UTI or other urinary tract issues, you may want to have that checked. It sounds to me like pup wasn't quite ready to expand his den area. Think of potty training as expanding their den to include your whole home, this, of course, has to happen gradually. I am not a fan of pee pads personally, I think letting your puppy pee inside at all confuses the issue. But that is totally up to your discretion, I know plenty of families that have successfully trained their dogs using pee pads. Since pup's crate is the only area he seems to keep clean right now, that is the only place he should be left unattended. If you are watching him, allow him into his pen, if he starts to potty, firmly tell him "no" and pick him up (yes, mid stream, mid poo, whatever it is, pick him up immediately) and put him on his potty pad. If he finishes his pee or poo there, praise him. At this stage, I'd also suggest you keep the puppy pad in one spot; when you replace it, put the new one exactly where the old one was. When he manages to sleep in his crate and only use his potty pad, not the floor for his pees/poos while you are supervising, consistently for a few days, allow him an overnight or unsupervised period in the pen, if he does the same sleeping in his potty spot or having accidents off the pad, go back to all unsupervised time being strictly in the crate. He's still pretty little, I'd expect accidents at this point. He's also not quite an adolescent, so he's not doing things out of spite or rebellion just yet. We have to make it crystal clear what we expect of our dogs, so for every "no" you need to tell him what the "yes" is (i.e. relocating him to his pee pad to finish his potty.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts