Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been trolling the forum for a little while now, and I know that there are lots of posts on separation anxiety, but I was hoping to get some advice on some 'special' issues with my pup.

I have a 5 month old English Springer Spaniel, named Kingsley, and he's a real sweetie. Except for the fact that if you are not in his direct line of sight he starts to get anxious.

A few examples: We often have him on a long leash (12 feet-ish) in the house when we are home, tied to a table. He's in his chewing phase so he doesn't get free roam and we don't want him constantly in his crate (he's in there 5-6 hours a day, with frequent breaks when I am home but working). This is fine, so long as he can see someone. As soon as he is left alone, he begins to whine and eventually bark. It's incessant and incredibly loud. He won't stop until he sees someone again.

He is wonderful in his crate, during the night anyway, but if he is in there and can hear someone in the room, he does the whole routine (whine, groan then bark). At night he is fine, but during the day when someone is home (if he can hear them) it's non-stop.

I've tried the common techniques (ignoring him when he whines, not paying attention 20 mins. before and after I leave the house) but it hasn't done much. I've put chew things in his crate (he won't touch a Kong, to my frustration) such as a stuffable sterilized bone, which is great, until he finishes what's inside. I've tried to reprimand him (ah-ah), but it doesn't seem to work, because to do that, he either sees me or my voice makes him stop, then start up again.

Anyway, I'm at a loss. He's a near perfect pup other than that. We have neighbours (apartment) and I feel for them having to deal with his barking. With the way my puppy barks, he might as well be a Doberman with the sheer volume.

Any advice would be really really appreciated! Sorry for the novel, again, I'm at a loss!

Thanks,

Piper and Kingsley

·
Registered
3 Posts
At 5 months old try a little exercise.. Make sure to give him some time outside.. I noticed if I walk my puppy and dedicate some outside time with him. Some issues are easier to deal with..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts