Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I need some help dealing with my puppy's allergies. He has gotten a cytopoint shot a few times, which used to work but now doesn't seem to give him any relief. He has irritated his skin so badly from scratching, especially around his mouth and armpits. I got an ointment to help soothe his armpits but I can't figure out a way to soothe around his mouth because I don't want him licking it. Any suggestions?

Also, since the cytopoint no longer works, I'm thinking it's a food allergy and just switched him to grain-free food. Anyone know how long before I should start to expect some changes if that is what is irritating him?

·
Super Moderator
2,730 Posts
I think it can take about 6 weeks for an allergy to food to go, although some people see faster results.

It's also a good idea to use a new, single protein like ostrich, kangaroo or goat. Then if you see an improvement you can reintroduce one thing like chicken to see if that is the cause.

·
Registered
831 Posts
we were very lucky with Murphy he had allergies we had noted down in a diary every time we fed him what we had fed and where we had walked him to see if there were any kinds of link between what it could be , we noticed he it more when he walked on freshly cut grass so that's something that we worked with by washing down his feet if he walked on freshly cut grass ...
Then we started on the one protein food and the first extra protein we introduced was beef and he had an immediate bad reaction so we took him off that we then tried chicken he had no reaction, lamb no reaction, etc we managed very quickly to realise that it was the fresh cut grass and the beef but it can take weeks or months before you are absolutely sure what is causing the problem , on the other hand I can honestly say when you can give up those anti-allergy drugs , when you have a dog who looks great, who doesn't have bald patches, whi doesn't have red patches , who isn't rubbing his face on the carpet 24/7 it is all worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts