Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO hello everyone. I finally got some rest and the puppies are sleeping through the night. woo!

However! I've noticed something, every time Timber eats their puppy food, he bloats up. He gets really tired, vomits, and has persistent diarrhea. We took him to a vet after finding out he was eating ROCKS :rolleyes: but the vet said he couldn't feel anything and as long as he was pooping to just attempt to keep him away from the driveway.

After spending our money at a vet trip, we ran out of puppy chow (oi) and temporarily gave them a bit of the adult dog food we have for our chihuahuas (it was small and they could chew it. ) they absolutely loved it. We were going to go get more food that following monday, as thats when we got paid, but we noticed that after a evening of eating the adult dog food, Timbers bloated belly went down. He didn't vomit, nor has he since that day. His stool is solid, he's MUCH more active. He seems more like a puppy now!

Could he be allergic to something in the puppy chow that isn't located in adult dog food? :ponder:

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
What puppy food in particular are you feeding? Do you mean puppy chow as in Purina Puppy Chow?

If so, I'm not at all surprised that he's reacting poorly to it. That stuff is nothing but junk and filler... Nothing that dogs' bodies are supposed to be living on or even processing... Especially baby puppies. Poor little guy. The first two (and primary) ingredients are corn. Which isn't good for a dog to begin with, and definitely not as a dietary foundation.

Timber could also be reacting to grains.

There are much, much better foods you can be feeding. It sounds like finances might be an issue. At the very least, look for food with meat as the first ingredient. If you can, try to go grain-free as well. Beyond that, there are many, many other measures and factors of quality to consider.

However, I would start there (meat as first ingredient) and try the best one you're able to afford.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
well said beretw! When you look at the ingredient whats the protien source eg beef, chicken etc? also please dont give that again as beretw said its full of fillers and crap not good for the puppy at all, needs natural healthy food.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
What you describe does not sound like an allergy. It sounds like he is eating either to much food or eating it to fast. Do you add water the their food? If not this can cause them to wolf down their food and then drink a lot of water. This will cause the food to swell in their tummy which will give the bloat look and can make them vomit because they are to full. Different foods do have a different swell rate.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Lilacpetals, I will definitely second what the others said, but you might also look at Superior adult food. I used that a few times when my BC bitch had pups and the pups were always stealing the adults' food. It is what performance dogs sometimes get fed, but it's good enough for puppies. High enough in nutritional value. If you can't find a suitable puppy food for your little one.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
If you have a costco near you I would try the natures Domain. Its grain free and has a lot better ingredients then puppy chow but probably around the same cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts