Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My wife and I have two Yorkie puppies from the same litter, one female (Lacey) and one male (Teddy). They were 9 weeks old when we picked them up (I think this is too young to take small dogs from their mothers - we were under the impression they were 12 weeks old). They are now 11 weeks old and Teddy is about twice Lacey’s size at about 2.4 pounds.

They should be well socialized – the breeder kept them in her kitchen and they had lots of interaction with the family members and litter mates, but Teddy is treating Lacey too aggressively (IMO). He bites her hard, and persists when she yelps. We haven’t interfered to this point, but I’d like to intervene if that’s appropriate.

What do you think?

TIA!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
welcome to the forum :)

first, i think you have your work cut out for you! this isn't meant to admonish you (especially since you already have your two), but it isn't recommended to get to puppies at the same time, they are more difficult to bond with and tend to become super attached to each other, which makes training/behavior modification extremely challenging... i highly recommend your family look into ways to work around this and make sure the pups have plenty of individual time. this might also help your male to calm down a bit.

generally, i don't interfere when dogs are playing unless i believe there is a real chance for injury of if one of the dogs is no longer interested, but the other isn't respecting their signals... it sounds like your male might have some issues with his excitement level, but it is hard to say. does the female try to escape from the play sessions when he gets excited? or does she still seem like she wants to keep the game going? if she is trying to get away from him then i would absolutely intervene. it doesn't have to be punishment, you can interrupt the play when it gets too rough and give the dogs a little time apart. the time apart doesn't have to be for very long (unless you are working on that with your two) just long enough for your male to calm down a bit. if you interrupt him every time he gets too excited/rough he will learn that playing like that=game over. this will take time though, and you will need to be diligent. if you he always gets too rough, then you will want to watch them carefully and intervene BEFORE he goes over-board...

good luck :) and i hope that helps you!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fawkese1, that does help.

I knew that we'd have bonding issues getting two pups at the same time; perhaps I underestimated the problem. We just lost our male Westie (strong bond with my wife), and our female Yorkie (Gizmo, strong bond with me) is 15 and spiraling down quickly (kidney failure, mobility problems, and recently refusing to eat). Our dogs are like children to us, so we spend lots of time with them which should help. Right now Gizmo is getting most of my attention with my wife attending to the pups.

When Lacey and Teddy are playing Lacey doesn't try to get away, and does seem to enjoy the game. I don’t think Teddy is trying to do her harm. We’ll definitely keep an eye on things, but it sounds like Teddy’s behavior hasn’t crossed the line.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hi all,

My wife and I have two Yorkie puppies from the same litter, one female (Lacey) and one male (Teddy). They were 9 weeks old when we picked them up (I think this is too young to take small dogs from their mothers - we were under the impression they were 12 weeks old). They are now 11 weeks old and Teddy is about twice Lacey’s size at about 2.4 pounds.

They should be well socialized – the breeder kept them in her kitchen and they had lots of interaction with the family members and litter mates, but Teddy is treating Lacey too aggressively (IMO). He bites her hard, and persists when she yelps. We haven’t interfered to this point, but I’d like to intervene if that’s appropriate.

The problem is that they were taken to soon from the mother. She would interrupt the pup that is biting to hard so now that is your job to teach bite retention. Maybe one of these will help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts