Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my puppy only 4 days ago and its afraid of drinking glasses, even if empty. I think the reason is that I sat on the floor with it yesterday and was having a glass of soda, which the puppy tried to drink out of. I just lifted the puppy away and said something along the lines of "thats not for you" with a humorous tone.

I wouldnt think that such a small thing could make it afraid but thats the only "logical" reason I have. Now if she sees a glass on a table she keeps 5 feet away, staring at and yelping/barking at it.

Anyone got some idea on how to teach her that a glass isnt dangerous?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I got my puppy only 4 days ago and its afraid of drinking glasses, even if empty. I think the reason is that I sat on the floor with it yesterday and was having a glass of soda, which the puppy tried to drink out of. I just lifted the puppy away and said something along the lines of "thats not for you" with a humorous tone.

I wouldnt think that such a small thing could make it afraid but thats the only "logical" reason I have. Now if she sees a glass on a table she keeps 5 feet away, staring at and yelping/barking at it.

Anyone got some idea on how to teach her that a glass isnt dangerous?
Probably just doesn't know what the glass is. I would put an empty glass on the floor and let the pup explore it. You'll just want to demystify the glass. Don't force her, just let her explore it on her own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what I've tried but she still just stays far away and is seemingly scared of it. She isnt interested at all at exploring what it is, she just ran further away last time when I did it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Then I would use clicker training and try and get her to see the glass is no harm. Set the glass out, and let her do what ever she's going to do. As soon as she makes a positive interaction with the glass click and treat, she should get more confident as she goes, work slowly and again never force the issue. Aim for small increments of improvement.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with what others have said. Make going near the glass a positive thing. Leave treats near it and give her more if she gets closer or sniffs it. Maybe also use glasses a lot more around her so she sees that it's not harming you and if it doesn't bother you then it's okay.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Just like everyone says, get the puppy used to the glass, help her learn that the glass is a positive thing, maybe put something she likes inside the glass, best of luck:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.