Dog Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a puppy and he's been learning sit and leave it when he gets excited nothing stops him from biting he is fixed and six months old. he's too old for puppy play classes I don't know how he'll be with other dogs. his social skills are awful. he won't respond to leave it, gentle, sit, yelping, leaving, or crating. he gets aggressive, bites hard, off doesn't stop him anymore and then time out he's nice for like twenty mins after time out then comes back with aggressive behaviors again. he learned this how can he unlearn these. hes biting to hurt. at sleep time he's an angel. please help

·
Super Moderator
626 Posts
He isn't being aggressive. This is just an extension of the boisterous play he had with is littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

For social skills, it's not necessary for dogs to all meet and greet, that would be like you having a chat with every person you met in a supermarket. Being dog neutral is more of a normal behaviour. So just keep him on lead and keep his focus on you instead of other dogs.

Kikopup on YouTube has some excellent short videos for more training tips.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He isn't being aggressive. This is just an extension of the boisterous play he had with is littermates but he needs to learn this is not how to play with humans. Some people find a sharp 'ouch' works but it can just ramp up the excitement. Some people find putting a toy in the dog's mouth works, others find the puppy is still more interested in nipping hands. My preferred method is to teach him that teeth on skin equals end of fun. So as soon as he makes contact, walk out of the room for a few moments. As long as the whole family is consistent - do it immediately and do it every time - he will learn. You could use a house line to draw him away, which keeps your hands both out of reach and also keeps hands for only good things.

For social skills, it's not necessary for dogs to all meet and greet, that would be like you having a chat with every person you met in a supermarket. Being dog neutral is more of a normal behaviour. So just keep him on lead and keep his focus on you instead of other dogs.

Kikopup on YouTube has some excellent short videos for more training tips.
I do walk away he chases. he latches on and won't let go. yelps do nothing off does nothing commands do nothing he just comes back harder and stronger and growls and bites until you crate him. he didn't have litter mates long he was ripped away very early and sold for Christmas then dumped right after. I got him from the shelter. it's aggressive because he latches on pulls as hard as he can snaps his jaws shut and doesn't let go he pulls and growls and barks he lunges too. at six months old it's bad behavior rather than puppy play I'm definitely gonna check out that YouTube person.

·
Registered
197 Posts
What food do you give him?

Believe me, if it was aggressive, you'd have been down casualty by now. Believe it or not, he is inhibiting his bite. Have a read through this thread - there should be some helpful stuff: Help! Puppy might be euthinized later!

However, I think it would be really helpful if you had a behaviourist come in as he sounds pretty wild (which isn't bad - he just doesn't yet have the skills to do what you want). You need to choose very carefully though - steer away from anyone who advocates any form of punishment (including sharp verbal corrections) for unwanted behaviour and says you need to be firmer/lower his status.

In effect, he is a cross between a toddler who will grab at a plate of biscuits when they have been told not to as they have no impulse control, and has tantrums and meltdowns when he doesn't get his own way (and we know punishment is going to be useless here), and a teenage lad who is feeling the first rush of hormones and keeps so riled up he'll start a fight. So in that light, his behaviour is understandable - the trick is to work out how to manage it and influence his behaviour.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What food do you give him?

Believe me, if it was aggressive, you'd have been down casualty by now. Believe it or not, he is inhibiting his bite. Have a read through this thread - there should be some helpful stuff: Help! Puppy might be euthinized later!

However, I think it would be really helpful if you had a behaviourist come in as he sounds pretty wild (which isn't bad - he just doesn't yet have the skills to do what you want). You need to choose very carefully though - steer away from anyone who advocates any form of punishment (including sharp verbal corrections) for unwanted behaviour and says you need to be firmer/lower his status.

In effect, he is a cross between a toddler who will grab at a plate of biscuits when they have been told not to as they have no impulse control, and has tantrums and meltdowns when he doesn't get his own way (and we know punishment is going to be useless here), and a teenage lad who is feeling the first rush of hormones and keeps so riled up he'll start a fight. So in that light, his behaviour is understandable - the trick is to work out how to manage it and influence his behaviour.
the shelter gave us a bag of blue puppy so he's been eating that.

·
Super Moderator
3,664 Posts
Hi Carmella,

I think you might find the videos in this thread helpful.

(The first video link doesn't work, but the rest are fine.)

Good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Carmella,

I think you might find the videos in this thread helpful.

(The first video link doesn't work, but the rest are fine.)

Good luck!
thank you!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree. Believe it or not, this does just sound like rough puppy play. When he gets rough, it is the end of play time. If you are unable to walk away, put him in the crate or get a baby gate and move to the other side of the gate where he can't follow you.

It does sound like you're having a hard time training basic commands, though, too. Has he been in a puppy class? I would highly recommend it. Remember that commands like "drop it", "leave it", and "stay" are life saving commands. What if he finds something dangerous on a walk, like broken glass, garbage, a dead animal? He needs to "leave it" and listen!

With this many concerns, I would enroll him in a class or hire a one on one trainer. He's still young and you can still train him, but it will be much harder if he grows up with all these habits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. Believe it or not, this does just sound like rough puppy play. When he gets rough, it is the end of play time. If you are unable to walk away, put him in the crate or get a baby gate and move to the other side of the gate where he can't follow you.

It does sound like you're having a hard time training basic commands, though, too. Has he been in a puppy class? I would highly recommend it. Remember that commands like "drop it", "leave it", and "stay" are life saving commands. What if he finds something dangerous on a walk, like broken glass, garbage, a dead animal? He needs to "leave it" and listen!

With this many concerns, I would enroll him in a class or hire a one on one trainer. He's still young and you can still train him, but it will be much harder if he grows up with all these habits.
he needs formal training for sure my mother actively undoes his training and I take care of her I need him away from her health wires during rough play she's been bit several times. I have trained dogs before this one is more difficult than the others. he doesn't enjoy any command no matter the reward. he does sit and off and even he has his limits on how many times. it's months of work I know.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It's interesting that he doesn't enjoy training. Are you keeping it positive? Do you get frustrated when training? Remember that dogs can closely read human emotion, no matter how well you think you're hiding it, so it's important that you stay lighthearted and positive while training.

It sounds like he might also have a short attention span. Be sure to start with very easy, achievable tasks so your dog feels more confident. Only ask your dog to do things you know he can do, so he doesn't get frustrated either. Start with really really simple things like "look at me" and hold a treat in front of your face, or "go find" and drop a treat on the floor for him to go get. Even if he knows sit, maybe go back to these simple tasks so he's being rewarded very often. I worry if you associates training with pressure and frustration that when you ask him to "sit" he might be thinking "oh no, here we go again..." maybe work on a different thing more positively until you build back his confidence.

Keep training sessions to only a few minutes and always end on a positive note so he finishes feeling good about his training. You can do this as often as necessary throughout the day, but give him breaks in between.

Is he food motivated? Some dogs aren't. In which case, maybe when he follows a command you throw his ball or reveal his favorite tug toy.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's interesting that he doesn't enjoy training. Are you keeping it positive? Do you get frustrated when training? Remember that dogs can closely read human emotion, no matter how well you think you're hiding it, so it's important that you stay lighthearted and positive while training.

It sounds like he might also have a short attention span. Be sure to start with very easy, achievable tasks so your dog feels more confident. Only ask your dog to do things you know he can do, so he doesn't get frustrated either. Start with really really simple things like "look at me" and hold a treat in front of your face, or "go find" and drop a treat on the floor for him to go get. Even if he knows sit, maybe go back to these simple tasks so he's being rewarded very often. I worry if you associates training with pressure and frustration that when you ask him to "sit" he might be thinking "oh no, here we go again..." maybe work on a different thing more positively until you build back his confidence.

Keep training sessions to only a few minutes and always end on a positive note so he finishes feeling good about his training. You can do this as often as necessary throughout the day, but give him breaks in between.

Is he food motivated? Some dogs aren't. In which case, maybe when he follows a command you throw his ball or reveal his favorite tug toy.
yes positive no not frustrated yes lots of breaks and time and love he also doesn't like sleeping and is very fussy and grumpy although I know he's exhausted he won't sleep in his crate he won't sleep in his bed his attention span is little because he has a lot of crabbiness I'm guessing he seems super crabby from not sleeping so that makes training time even more difficult. a lot of it is the undoing he's confused bc my mother does one thing that he gets rewarded for which is often bad behavior and I have to work all the harder to retrain the skill. he's food motivated for sure but he's also very fussy lately and won't sleep. I wonder if CBD a dark room didn't help a quiet space didn't help his crate and making bedtime seamless didn't help music didn't help lots of walks and getting his energy out didn't help. he's forcing himself to stay awake and I for the love of me can't figure out why he's otherwise very happy and comfortable here. he also plays and won't let go and snaps he's you possessive although that's been improving. whatever he went through before us at the shelter and the humane society before that he's been through a lot. some private training with our trainer is in order because she's rehabbed some dogs lately and I'd like her opinion on his behavior. I know he's a sweet boy under all this anxiety.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oh gosh. Tiredness could definitely explain it all. Winston is awful when he's too tired. He'll force himself to stay awake and be crabby in public, but once we're home he generally passes out. Certainly sounds like he's staying awake due to some kind of anxiety. If he's a rescue, who knows what his background is. I hope your trainer can help. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh gosh. Tiredness could definitely explain it all. Winston is awful when he's too tired. He'll force himself to stay awake and be crabby in public, but once we're home he generally passes out. Certainly sounds like he's staying awake due to some kind of anxiety. If he's a rescue, who knows what his background is. I hope your trainer can help. Keep us posted!
it's currently 5am he slept for four hours it took hours to get him down. I don't know what kind of things but I know he needs time I'll definitely come back with what the trainer says. I always rescue it's so sad he's only 7months old and already has been through so much. Jupiter you can do it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
What breed/cross is he? I haven't had time to read all the posts, but for some types of dogs, training is about as exciting as doing a page of simple sums - 'Look, you asked me to sit, then you asked me to lie down, then you asked me to stand, then you asked me to sit - what the hell was the point of that? I'm going on strike!' Or they could just think 'Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather do X just now if it's all the same to you.' This is simply how their brain works and it makes perfect sense, really. They're not untrainable, you just need to work out what motivates them and how to make them want to do what you want them to do.

But of course, you do need to start with a calm(ish) relaxed(ish) dog!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What breed/cross is he? I haven't had time to read all the posts, but for some types of dogs, training is about as exciting as doing a page of simple sums - 'Look, you asked me to sit, then you asked me to lie down, then you asked me to stand, then you asked me to sit - what the hell was the point of that? I'm going on strike!' Or they could just think 'Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd rather do X just now if it's all the same to you.' This is simply how their brain works and it makes perfect sense, really. They're not untrainable, you just need to work out what motivates them and how to make them want to do what you want them to do.

hmm red nose out the red and white kind? I've had other pit bulls never like this attitude tho. he needs time and extra attention I believe hopefully he settles for a nap before anything else I have to do today. he's definitely not calm but very alert and curious just rambunctious as heck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

we've been putting him in his crate when he bites too hard and saying no and leave it. so far he's been in his crate a lot. I don't feel like he's progressing yet but he definitely doesn't wanna be alone so I think the wheels are starting to turn. we did this all evening it's 5 again and he's not sleeping the vet suggested Benadryl for emergencies. here's to hoping.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
puppy Jupiter is doing okay with sleeping we really have to force him. training starts Sunday! can't wait.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts