Dog Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new litter of puppies are 4 days old now!:D There are 8 puppies in all, 4 males and 4 females. 2 male sable merles, 3 female blue merles, 1 male blue merle, 1 male sable, and 1 tri female. They were only about 1 1/2 or 2 days old when the pic was taken I think.:confused: Here they are!:p

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Man, I should avoid this thread. :p They are SO freakin' cute.

Reactions: Lassie0811

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh, SO cute!

Are these show dogs? What does mom and dad look like? How's mom doing? Are you keeping the pick or are they all going to homes?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, SO cute!

Are these show dogs? What does mom and dad look like? How's mom doing? Are you keeping the pick or are they all going to homes?
Yes, they are conformation dogs. I'll see if I can put some pictures of them in a post after this one. This was a dual sire litter so not sure yet which dog is each puppy's parent, but one is a young rough tri and the other is an older rough sable. Mother is a smooth sable merle. She's a first time mother at 6 but has very good instincts and knows what to do. We monitor her very closely with them just like we would any of our litters. She's doing very well, we're giving her some cottage cheese with her food to keep her calcium levels normal, and she's producing a lot of milk. They are definitely well fed little turds. We're probably going to keep one from each sire if they turn out, but the rest will go to good homes. Not a byb if that is what you're asking.;) Lol!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Here are the parents. Gonna be some pretty big pics! Not all the pics are the most recent either! Sorry! I don't want to go searching all over for them! :D

Mother: Shakira - Ch. Ceilidh's Underneath Her Clothes

Sable Father: Robin - Ch. Ceilidh's Earl of Locksley

Tri Father: Titus "Poobs" - Spirit Wind Centurion

That's Titus after getting 3rd in his large class at the Collie Nationals at 6 months.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, quick question! If I wanted to continue updating on the puppies, with pictures included obviously;), would I continue this thread or make a new thread under a different category? And if I make a new one which category would it go under?:ponder:

·
Registered
297 Posts
It probably would be fine to continue under this thread. But if you wanted to post a new one it could be under general chat or in New Additions again. You have very beautiful dogs by the way. How long have you been breeding?

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
So, quick question! If I wanted to continue updating on the puppies, with pictures included obviously;), would I continue this thread or make a new thread under a different category? And if I make a new one which category would it go under?:ponder:
First off, those are some gorgeous pups! I'm sure they will turn into beautiful dogs too.

If you want to make a new thread I would put it under General Dog Discussion, that's where I put my puppy threads.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Lovely! Congrats :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It probably would be fine to continue under this thread. But if you wanted to post a new one it could be under general chat or in New Additions again. You have very beautiful dogs by the way. How long have you been breeding?
Thanks, I'll just continue this thread then. Thank you! I've been breeding collies for about 15 years now.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Oh I love mom! She is beautiful! They are all beautiful dogs. Are they all yours?

I've never heard of intentional duel litters (although the concept makes sense). Will you DNA test all the puppies to see which one is the father? I would think color wouldn't give you a 100% answer that the AKC might want.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh I love mom! She is beautiful! They are all beautiful dogs. Are they all yours?

I've never heard of intentional duel litters (although the concept makes sense). Will you DNA test all the puppies to see which one is the father? I would think color wouldn't give you a 100% answer that the AKC might want.
Thank you! Yes, I bred the mom and sable and bought the tri as a puppy from another breeder.

Yes, you have to send the swabs to be DNA tested by the AKC to know for sure.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Ooooh merles!!! oooh puppies!! oooooohhh merle collie puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cute if I ever get a sheepdog it will be a difficult competition between the Collies and the Icelandic sheepdog.

How often are you brushing the rough ones to keep the coat good?

I actually didn't know that smooth and rough were interbred, thought they were bred separately, haha silly me.

Reactions: crazy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Ooooh merles!!! oooh puppies!! oooooohhh merle collie puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cute if I ever get a sheepdog it will be a difficult competition between the Collies and the Icelandic sheepdog.

How often are you brushing the rough ones to keep the coat good?

I actually didn't know that smooth and rough were interbred, thought they were bred separately, haha silly me.
I've never had that reaction before! Love it!:lmao:

I love Spitz looking dogs!

You actually don't have to brush them as much as most people think. It's only about 1 time a week. Even less if they are inside a lot, and unless you ask most groomers not to, they take a lot of the undercoat out to make it more manageable anyways. I find brushing a relaxing activity anyways though. Lol!

Yeah, I've met a lot of people that don't know that and always say it actually makes sense though.;)

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
So cute! I would never want to part with any of them!

Reactions: Lassie0811

·
Registered
951 Posts
I am interested to know why you chose to breed her to two males. You could get all pups from one and none from the other. It's unlikely, but it can happen. What is the logic that makes this a good idea.

Note, i am not criticising, I am just wondering why. The only reason I can come up with is desiring the expense and effort of having a litter once and getting the results right now vs having a litter with one father now and the other father a year or two from now.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts