Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two puppies. A girl named Cookie who is 4 months old and a boy named Rocky who is 3 months. I read an article about using a confinement space for indoor potty training. Following the article's directions, I set up a confinement area by using an exercise pen and putting in a bed with toys, food and water bowls, and potty pads. This particular article said to make sure there is no uncovered floor space, but I do have each area distinctly arranged. Per advice from other sources, I also take the puppies to this area by following a feeding, playing, and sleeping schedule. When I take them to the pen, they don't go potty. For example, I just took them to the pen after 2 hours of napping. I put food in their bowls and made sure they finished eating. It has been over an hour and they have not gone. There have been times I let them out, thinking they just didn't need to go and within 5 minutes, they have eliminated somewhere else in the house. What do I do at this point?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
this may help
but I would take everything out of the pen except the potty if you want to make it a potty area and not a living space. They may not want to go where they sleep.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Clearly the puppies consider the "confinement area" part of their regular living space. They would rather go potty further away, in a far off region of the house, as is their natural instinct to stay clean. One of the problems with your methodology is you are letting them loose in the house.

Not sure why you are so attached to this system you read about, but it does not seem to be working very well.

Here is another system you might find works better. You can still train to a pad if you want, although if you have access to outdoors its always better to train right to the outdoors from the start.

House training is not very difficult once you understand the natural instincts of puppies and get a routine for REWARDING the right behavior and PREVENTING the unwanted behavior. Check out that sticky and see if it makes more sense to you (and most of all to the puppies) than this confinement area thingy.

·
Premium Member
10,819 Posts
I agree with Tess and Dawnben.

The system you are following is sort of like having a portable toilet in your bedroom dining room yet having the option to go use the bathroom somewhere else. Having that option you're going to go somewhere else right?

Housetraining works better when the puppy is kept in a small space to sleep, and let out of that space and taken somewhere else to potty. The link and Youtube that you were given offer great advice!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for taking the time to help. I really appreciate all your thoughtful advice. I am looking forward to setting up a separate, supervised area for a living space. Dawnben, that video is awesome. It is perfect for our situation. I will probably be watching it several times. Tess, the link you provided was very informative. It's also going to be saved on my computer for repeated reference. :)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I'm familiar with this type of housetraining and it isn't being done right. You keep the puppy in the fully papered confined area all day. The puppy will eventually potty and that is the spot you put the newspaper/pad in. Then you soon have a puppy trained to potty on a certain surface, the newspaper/pad. Then, you put the surface outside. If the puppy has access to the house, he will keep the pen clean because he considers that part of his bedroom, which he wishes to keep clean.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts