Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving out of my apartment and into a house with a friend of mine. Her chihuahua mix had puppies around 8-10 weeks ago. None of which have been vaccinated. Out of the 5, 3 were sold leaving 2. Whether she plans to sell the other 2, I'm not sure. My concern is that I have a Great Dane pup who is 10 weeks old. He's had his 2nd round of shots and won't get his last 2 until 13 weeks and 17 weeks. Should I be concerned about having my pup around the other puppies?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
This is a question for your vet. There are unknown variables. My biggest concern would be having a roommate who doesn't get pups vaccinated. She's putting those puppies at great risk and potentially your puppy too.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I agree that it is something I would ask a vet. That said, I have run across the odd veterinarian that doesn't vaccinate animals because they don't believe in vaccinations.

Personally, I wouldn't want my puppy around other animals that aren't vaccinated and vice versa. Even vaccinated animals can get sick, or worse... they can carry things that can make unvaccinated animals very sick or die.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well, if this is any consolation - I have an acquaintance that has been breeding dogs for 25 years. She does not vaccinate, feels dogs are being over vaccinated and causing other issues. Her dogs are very healthy.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Well, if this is any consolation - I have an acquaintance that has been breeding dogs for 25 years. She does not vaccinate, feels dogs are being over vaccinated and causing other issues. Her dogs are very healthy.

She's very irresponsible. Ask her if she's ever heard the term herd immunity?
Most veterinarians are now recommending three year vaccine schedules for the core vaccines. Titers can also be used to determine immunity levels in previously vaccinated pets. Just because her dogs are healthy means nothing as far as statistical truth about the danger of not vaccinating.

Just because someone has been breeding dogs for 25 years doesn't make them an expert in the field of dogs. It means she can put a female in estrus with a fertile male and produce a litter of puppies.

·
Registered
368 Posts
if the puppies are unvaccinated, they are at risk to get parvo or distemper… but only if exposed to those illnesses… these puppies, if kept isolated, are a minimal risk to your dog. However, if your dog is 'out and about' collecting viruses from the environment outside your home (such as at a dog park) then both your puppy and his are at risk. Getting his puppies vaccinated repeated will decrease their risk of getting an illness, but does not affect directly your puppy's risk any. And if those puppies are NOT isolated, they are just as likely to bring home a virus to spread to your puppies vaccinated or not, so their vaccination situation will not affect your puppy differently.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The unvaccinated puppies are also at risk from newly vaccinated puppies. Viral vaccines like Parvo can shed.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I agree with talking to your vet about it.

If her pups are not being exposed to unvaccinated dogs, and you are taking precautions to keep your pup from being exposed to unvaccinated dogs (no dog parks, walks where other dogs frequent, etc.) then I'd think the risk to both your pup and hers are minimal. I really hope that your roommate is going to spay her dog, the last thing that's needed is more mix breed puppies.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I agree with talking to your vet about it.

If her pups are not being exposed to unvaccinated dogs, and you are taking precautions to keep your pup from being exposed to unvaccinated dogs (no dog parks, walks where other dogs frequent, etc.) then I'd think the risk to both your pup and hers are minimal. I really hope that your roommate is going to spay her dog, the last thing that's needed is more mix breed puppies.
I don't think the issue is with being exposed to unvaccinated dogs because if they are running around at the dog park or on walks then they don't have parvo or distemper obviously. An unvaccinated animal, like an unvaccinated human, if they don't have the specific disease, they are not going to infect anyone, for example a healthy unvaccinated child who doesn't have measles isn't going to spread it. The problem is a dog who does not have immunity being around VACCINATED dogs who are shedding vaccine virus. This is why you should be cautious about young puppies. If you prefer titers to unnecessary vaccinations, the best place to get them up is by taking your dog to sniff at the dog park for five minutes where you are going to come across plenty of recently vaccinated dogs. Bingo high antibody titers! The vet's office is also a great place to run in recently vaccinated dogs shedding viruses.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
I don't think the issue is with being exposed to unvaccinated dogs because if they are running around at the dog park or on walks then they don't have parvo or distemper obviously. An unvaccinated animal, like an unvaccinated human, if they don't have the specific disease, they are not going to infect anyone, for example a healthy unvaccinated child who doesn't have measles isn't going to spread it. The problem is a dog who does not have immunity being around VACCINATED dogs who are shedding vaccine virus. This is why you should be cautious about young puppies. If you prefer titers to unnecessary vaccinations, the best place to get them up is by taking your dog to sniff at the dog park for five minutes where you are going to come across plenty of recently vaccinated dogs. Bingo high antibody titers! The vet's office is also a great place to run in recently vaccinated dogs shedding viruses.

If the pup is exposed to unvaccinated dogs they have a much higher chance of contracting parvo and distemper, which are two highly contagious and deadly viruses. That is what I'd be most worried about. Depending on where a person lives, both of those viruses could be at epidemic levels.

Considering that if they are using live virus, and they could be using killed virus, in the vaccine the virus has been weakened to the point that it should not make a dog sick, I would not worry about an unvaccinated pup coming into contact with a vaccinated one.

https://www.vetinfo.com/parvo-vaccine-options.html
https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/vax.htm

West Texas is not that far from me...Parvovirus Attacks West Texas Puppies - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

·
Registered
662 Posts
If the pup is exposed to unvaccinated dogs they have a much higher chance of contracting parvo and distemper, which are two highly contagious and deadly viruses. That is what I'd be most worried about. Depending on where a person lives, both of those viruses could be at epidemic levels.

Considering that if they are using live virus, and they could be using killed virus, in the vaccine the virus has been weakened to the point that it should not make a dog sick, I would not worry about an unvaccinated pup coming into contact with a vaccinated one.

https://www.vetinfo.com/parvo-vaccine-options.html
https://www.msu.edu/~silvar/vax.htm

West Texas is not that far from me...Parvovirus Attacks West Texas Puppies - KWES NewsWest 9 / Midland, Odessa, Big Spring, TX: newswest9.com |

A non-vaccinated dog that isn't infected with parvo cannot pass it on period. A newly vaccinated dog because it has the virus inside it and it can. All viruses are dead, they require cells to reproduce, and a vaccinated dog, especially a stressed one, ie is malnourished or even fed crap food, or in a shelter situation, has ideal terrain to active the virus within their cells.

If I had unvaccinated puppies I would not want them anywhere near a newly vaccinated dog.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
A non-vaccinated dog that isn't infected with parvo cannot pass it on period. A newly vaccinated dog because it has the virus inside it and it can. All viruses are dead, they require cells to reproduce, and a vaccinated dog, especially a stressed one, ie is malnourished or even fed crap food, or in a shelter situation, has ideal terrain to active the virus within their cells.

If I had unvaccinated puppies I would not want them anywhere near a newly vaccinated dog.
This might be splitting hairs, but viruses are actually neither alive or dead.

I also don't really understand how you think a dead virus reactivates?

To the OP, I would definitely discuss this with your vet.

Reactions: Rain
1 - 14 of 14 Posts