Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just wondered if anyone has any suggestions. we have two mixed breed 5month old puppies. They are truly frightened of the TV. We have tried to only have soothing images on the box with the sound down. I have tried it with no sound and no colour. We have spent days giving treats every time the dog has looked at the tv etc.

One dog will not enter the room. The other circa five minutes
any advice will be welcome
thanks

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I would say let the puppies have an easy escape from the room - a place they can go to if they choose. Always keep the volume of the TV down low, and let the puppies choose whether or not to be where they can see or hear it. Don't ever shut them into the room with the TV. Don't coax them into the room or try to lure them. Just leave it up to them.

See how that goes, and if one of them ventures into the room, toss them a treat so that they need to go back out of the room to get it. Every time they come in, even just poking in their head, toss a treat. In time they may get over this, but only if you are completely patient and let them be the ones to decide whether or not to be in the same room with the TV.

Personally, I won't be in the same room with a TV, myself, so I get where they are coming from! It's not necessary for them to be in with the TV. If they don't want to be, let them make that choice.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
As above, I would not make it a big deal at all, humans are watching TV in the evening, that's just what you do. If they want to join you in that room, they can, but don't make them confront their fear if their not ready. Maybe give them a Kong or chew out of the room? Something calming to work on not in the presence of the TV?

It becomes a conflict, they want the treats, but have to approach the scary TV to get it. It was the same as when I was trying to get my pup to like 'strangers'. He started looking at the treat I gave them to give him as something negative because he had to approach them to get it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comment I will try it
I would say let the puppies have an easy escape from the room - a place they can go to if they choose. Always keep the volume of the TV down low, and let the puppies choose whether or not to be where they can see or hear it. Don't ever shut them into the room with the TV. Don't coax them into the room or try to lure them. Just leave it up to them.

See how that goes, and if one of them ventures into the room, toss them a treat so that they need to go back out of the room to get it. Every time they come in, even just poking in their head, toss a treat. In time they may get over this, but only if you are completely patient and let them be the ones to decide whether or not to be in the same room with the TV.

Personally, I won't be in the same room with a TV, myself, so I get where they are coming from! It's not necessary for them to be in with the TV. If they don't want to be, let them make that choice.
As above, I would not make it a big deal at all, humans are watching TV in the evening, that's just what you do. If they want to join you in that room, they can, but don't make them confront their fear if their not ready. Maybe give them a Kong or chew out of the room? Something calming to work on not in the presence of the TV?

It becomes a conflict, they want the treats, but have to approach the scary TV to get it. It was the same as when I was trying to get my pup to like 'strangers'. He started looking at the treat I gave them to give him as something negative because he had to approach them to get it.
thanks for the advice pups are super happy other than this so I will not rush things

1 - 4 of 4 Posts