Dog Forum banner

Puppies on the way. Need help!

5K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  jclark343 
#1 ·
My female chihuahua is pregnant. I don't know what I'm supposed to do. I keep her separated from the boy now incase she has them, He's wild and I don't want him to grab one and run off with it like he does with everything else. When she goes into labor..what do I do? Just watch? Do I pull them out? When they are here..what do I do? Do I let Baloo (the boy) out my room when she has them even though he can be vicious when he's angry? sorry for all the questions, I've just never been around a pregnant dog and I want to make sure the puppies come out okay

#2 ·
You should check with your veterinarian. Chihuahuas often need to have Cesarean section surgery because they can't always give birth naturally. If a dog can't have her puppies naturally and you don't get her to the vet quickly she and the puppies could die.

Honestly, you need to consult with your vet. He or she can help you determine if your dog is pregnant, how far along she is and what you should provide for her during the pregnancy and when she whelps.

#3 ·
I've called the vet. They basically didn't tell me anything but watch her. I just googled about the cesarean, but it says that will usually only need to happen if they are small. Mine isn't small..she's half dachshund, about 10 pounds maybe more. Her harness size is a medium.

#4 ·
As a foster of pregnant dogs, I have lots of experience with them, so hopefully I can help answer your questions.

First off, some questions:

Do you know how far along she is?

Do you know who the dog is that bred her?

Do you have a whelping box setup?

What kind of food is she on?

As far as your other dog, yes do keep him out of the room where your dog is to deliver, he will have to be kept out while she's in labor, delivering and for at least 4 weeks after delivery, mothers are most often very protective of their pups toward other dogs.

Reactions: Sha and Rain
#6 ·
I'm not sure how far along. The girl that I asked when I called the vet never told me I had to bring her in, she just said watch her and if I see anything wrong then to bring her. So far everything's fine. I had posted on fb that I caught them having sex but the status is gone. I seen pictures from dec 16 with my friend and I know it had already happened cause I was showing her my hand from when the boy bit me. (They were stuck together and she was screaming and i was trying to pull him off & he was biting me) So I guessed Dec 11 is when it might of happened. A lady told me to count 53 days, so I got Feb 2 as a due date.

Yes, the father is my other dog. Chihuahua/pomeranian

No not yet. I have big white, plastic bins that we were going to put towels and sheets for her.

She eats Iams dog food. Someone else told me to give her food with fat so past couple of days I've been giving her eggs and boiling chop meat.

#10 ·
Just so you know, trying to pull two dogs apart that are tied can cause serious injury to both, the male bit you because you were causing him great pain by trying to separate them. It's actually 63 days from the first tie. Most dogs gestation period is around 58-64 days. So if your dogs tied on Dec 11th, then the due date would be right around the 7th of Feb. If that is when she was bred, then she is in her 6th week now. Does she look pregnant at all? Just because there was a tie doesn't mean she is pregnant.

Okay. Hopefully there won't be any problems for her delivering the pups, but there is always a risk of it being needed with every pregnant dog.

That should work, or even a large cardboard box would do as well. Whatever you use she should be able to get in and out of without trouble. I would start introducing her to it now if you are able to, no harm in getting her ready.

As long as the dog is on a high quality dog food, supplementing her diet is usually not needed, however Iams isn't all that high quality. It is recommended that dogs be fed puppy food when pregnant.

#12 ·
Just so you know, trying to pull two dogs apart that are tied can cause serious injury to both, the male bit you because you were causing him great pain by trying to separate them. It's actually 63 days from the first tie. Most dogs gestation period is around 58-64 days. So if your dogs tied on Dec 11th, then the due date would be right around the 7th of Feb. If that is when she was bred, then she is in her 6th week now. Does she look pregnant at all? Just because there was a tie doesn't mean she is pregnant.

Okay. Hopefully there won't be any problems for her delivering the pups, but there is always a risk of it being needed with every pregnant dog.

That should work, or even a large cardboard box would do as well. Whatever you use she should be able to get in and out of without trouble. I would start introducing her to it now if you are able to, no harm in getting her ready.

As long as the dog is on a high quality dog food, supplementing her diet is usually not needed, however Iams isn't all that high quality. It is recommended that dogs be fed puppy food when pregnant.
Well he bites me even when I unhook the leash from his harness lol. He's a mean dog so we didn't think anything of him biting. It's nothing new with him. ..we panicked when we saw him all twisted and she was crying. Her stomach is big & her nipples are getting bigger everyday,

I'll get it ready today. I'll wash it and have my mom find me her old towels when she gets home.

I'll pick up some puppy food then.

#5 ·
Unless something goes wrong she will not need any help delivering the puppies. If something goes wrong there's nothing you, the owner, can do you will need to get her to the vet ASAP, whatever time of the day it is, or you'll likely lose both her and any puppies that still need to be delivered.

After delivery you'll need to keep an eye on her to make sure she stay's healthy, if she runs a fever, or seems sick she needs to go to the vet. Most likely she'll be fine.

You'll also need to keep an eye on the puppies to make sure they are gaining weight, and are healthy. You'll need a kitchen scale to keep an eye on their weight.

She's going to need a whelping box in a quiet room for delivering and raising her puppies. A lot of activity around the area will likely stress her out. Keep your other dogs away from her unless you want to be breaking up a dog fight, I'm wiling to bet that she will go after your male dog if he tries to mess with her puppies.

How far along in her pregnancy is she? Has the vet checked her out to make sure that her and the puppies are doing well, and to find out approximately how many she's having? If she's having just 1 or 2 there's more of a likelihood that she may have trouble delivering the puppies then if the litter is larger.

#7 ·
I don't want to be the one to ask this, but why is your dog pregnant in the first place? Why didn't you get her spayed? When the dog got pregnant, did you read up on the dangers of pregnancy? Did the vet check her regularly to make sure she was healthy?
If she's a healthy dog and older than two, the risks are much smaller than for a younger or sickly animal.
When was the last vet visit?

#9 ·
I've only had her for about three months. We never planned on getting another dog, but she showed up on my yard with a pitbull. We found out where they lived and we took them back. The people didn't want her back, only the pitbull so we took her. We were planning on fixing him when we got our taxes. Wasn't supposed to happen but it did, so now I have to make sure she's okay

#21 ·
I want to keep them, but I live with my mom and I wasn't even supposed to get Baloo and KiKi, but I did cause I knew she would let them stay once they were here, but I think I reached my limit with two. I'm going to stall as long as I can. Maybe I could get my own place and keep them all. If not, I'll give them to people I know love animals. No strangers. No ads on Craigslist. I'm only giving them to people I know and I have to be able to see them and make sure they are okay. If they can't agree to that then they get no dog from me.

#22 ·
Keeping the puppies isn't usually advised anyway. I'd even suggest not to adopt out two pups to the same home. Look up litter mate syndrome, it's common in circumstances where people either adopt two pups or just keep pups from their dogs litter. Fighting at maturity, training issues, etc.
I see you've gotten some good advice about the birth but have you been researching all that you have to do after they're born with socialization, shots, etc.? It's a lot of work! You have some time but I'd still start reading and figuring it all out sooner than later so you know what you're in for.

#23 ·
That all sounds nice, but seems pretty unrealistic.

First thing, keeping all the puppies is a horrible idea. I would recommend you research Littermate Syndrome. It would actually be more detrimental to the dogs for you to keep them, especially if you can't handle the two that you have now (with your male being aggressive). I really recommend you look into working with a shelter that will vet the people that the puppies go to, and also spay and neuter the puppies seeing as reckless breeding just adds to the already overwhelming amount of dogs this country currently is over populated with.

#24 ·
I've never even heard of littermate syndrome, but I just read about it. Guess I can't keep them. It's just hard to give them away. I love all animals. I'll even save a bug if I can and I already love them, but I know I can't keep them all regardless of the syndrome. I got KiKi and my demon dog Baloo, plus two daughters... 19 months old & 8 months old, which the kids is a whole other problem being that Baloo can be vicious. Yea I really don't need any more biting chihuahuas..I just want to cause they're so cute lol :) But for now I just want them to all be born safe. I'll worry about where they are going after.

#25 ·
Better to arrange homes for them now, than later. Or else you will end up stuck with them.

Please don't wait. Contacting a local rescue to help rehome the puppies is a good idea.

Reactions: Sha and jclark343
#29 ·
Aww, they are adorable! How old are they?

One of my pregnant fosters, a Doxie/Beagle mix, was solid black & tan. The father, who she was picked up with her was a solid brindle, yet she produced one almost pure white pup, two very light tan pups, two extreme piebald pups, and two brindle pups with white markings, 7 pups in all. Her litter proves you never can tell what genetics might do, lol.

#32 ·
You're going to make it harder on yourself if you personify her emotions to be like how you would feel. At the end of the 8 weeks she may be very ready for the puppies to go. She may miss them when they first leave, but I am sure she will be a lot happier to not have to share your attention with 5 other dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.